Thread: Problems with extraction.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Neck dia. looks good. I suggested .002, as minimum & you have .006. Neck size only piece of brass & see if it will chamber. If it chambers, it's time to check primary extraction. Possible that the ammo, is on the hot side for this barrel, try mild reload, to test, if good, work up load.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    Neck dia. looks good. I suggested .002, as minimum & you have .006. Neck size only piece of brass & see if it will chamber. If it chambers, it's time to check primary extraction. Possible that the ammo, is on the hot side for this barrel, try mild reload, to test, if good, work up load.
    Tried a new empty brass, chambered fine so I fired a primer off. Didn't expect that to cause enough pressure to change anything, but it couldn't hurt.

Neck sized the real fired brass (not the primer fired brass), it chambered but it got hard to move right before camming it shut. Cammed closed and open fine, had to hit it with my palm to slide bolt back.
    Brass after neck sizing measured .309-.310. Seems like a fair amount for tension.

Went ahead and full length sized as far as the die would allow and it still looks like the shoulder didn't move. But I can't find my magic marker or a way to smoke the neck so it's hard to tell. Confusing either way as it still doesn't chamber like a fresh piece.

I won't take the barrel off then as long as you guys think i'm safe to fire a few of the low powered loads, but it will have to wait until Tuesday when I'm off work.

RC20, I'm not sure I'm following with the shim. My mind jumped to a feeler guage between the bolt body and baffle, but with the floating bolt head... It's not working in my mind. Do you mean an extra crush washer?

Drybean, yes a new bullet will slide freely.