Good evening,

I'm trying to find an inexpensive stock for a Savage Model 111 that was originally chambered in 270 win that will become a 7mm-08 when the new barrel arrives. The new medium contour varmint barrel for sure won't fit in the factory profile tupperware stock. I bought the rifle off Gunbroker, so I don't know a lot of history about it. It is recent enough to be in Savage's database - if it was online. I've emailed Savage, but no reply yet.

The rifle has a top bolt release, hinged floor plate and center feed magazine. The floor plate release in an embedded lever that moves to the rear to release it. The lever has to be moved to get a screwdriver into the allen head front action screw.

I'm kinda getting the feeling that the detachable stock magazine inletting will work with this rifle, but need a drawing of some type that I could measure against. I've contacted Boyd's for a drawing, but after hours on a Friday so I'm not expecting to see anything from them until next Tuesday. When I talked to them today, the sales lady didn't know and told me to check against the drawing. So far, I've not found that on their website - just the action screw spacing. I'm looking at either the thumb hole varminter or pro varmint.

I'm pretty sure that is an 'old' style trigger guard because it doesn't have a bump in the middle and my rifle has a spacer between the floor plate and trigger guard vs the new style where the spacer is part of the guard.

Here's a crappy IPad picture of the factory stock and bottom metal

I'm not opposed to converting the rifle into a blind magazine but don't know what parts I'd need for that. It looks like I could remove the magazine from the floor plate and since it's a budget build, I'd prefer not to buy any more than I have to. I see threads where a lot of people are going the other way - from blind mag to hinged or detachable, but none going this way. It appears to me I could remove the magazine by popping it out of the floor plate - 2 tabs on either side and a spring lever on the back - and sliding out the spring and follower, but I have no idea what to attach them to in a blind mag stock.

I'm fairly handy with a chisel and dremel, so if it was close, with just extra wood to remove, I think I could 'fix' it.

As I said before, I'm looking for something inexpensive, decent looking and quick. If the rifle proves to be a shooter, I'll look at a chassis system later - which is another reason I don't want to spend a lot now.

Will the detachable box inletting work with this rifle? If you need any more measurements, I'll be happy to provide them.

Thanks in advance
TD