Thread: Scope for Night Hunting

Team Savage

Scope for Night Hunting

My Son and Grandson have developed an interest in coyote night hunting. At this point they are not interested in Night Vision or Thermal Imagining. They are using a good red light and need a scope that gathers light. I am thinking 6X will be about right for a 200 yard shot. Should I be looking for a straight 6 power or a 3-9X variable? Anybody out there with some experience? When reading scope specs, is there a way to compare light gathering ability?

Bill

Assuming the scopes have the same quality glass, the larger the objective for a given power will typically allow more light to be transmitted to the eye.

Tube size will also play a factor - if both scopes have the same quality glass and the same objective diameter but one has a 1" tube and the other a 30mm tube - the 30mm tube should allow more light through.

Fixed power scopes will also typically be brighter than a variable with the same max power/tube size/glass quality due to having less lenses to go through.

With all that said, sometimes it comes down to individual eyesight being able to actually "see" a difference.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Anything that would be truly GREAT in that application would cost almost as much as a thermal system. Anything with good enough glass and a large objective is gonna be spendy. The SWFA 6x42 fixed is tough as nails and yields an exit pupil of 7. That is about all of the light the human eye can theoretically use in glass. There's more to it than that but it's going to be hard to beat it without spending 4 figures. $299 retail. IOR has a 6x42 for exactly double the price. After that it's big money.

I use one of a few rifles, all with Primary Arms 4-14 scopes. I have also used a 3-15x Weaver Tactical, and a POS 2.5-10x tasco varmint.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I have a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18 X 50 with illuminated reticle on a 223. Had a chance to use it under a full moon recently and I'm happy to report that the cross hairs were plainly visible without the illumination turned on (got too busy and forgot) but it didn't seem to matter to the boar, he's just as dead.

Light transmission efficiency is not on the spec sheet, but the more you crank up a variable , the darker it gets. With apologies to Rick W, tube size has no effect on light gathering, it's purely optical quality that determines the view of your quarry under poorly lighted condition. Spend your money wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    tube size has no effect on light gathering, it's purely optical quality that determines the view of your quarry under poorly lighted condition
    If you look through a straw and also through a paper towel roll of equal length with no glass (optics) - which passes more light?

I didn't state "light gathering". I agree that light gathering is a product of optical clarity. But if the scopes are other wise identical, tube size will impart restrictions. With that said, all eyes are different and may/may not be able to tell the difference.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Team Savage
    Bsekf,,,,,,,, heres my 2 cents,,,,in my opinion based on what ive read from some scientific explanations,, buy the scope you want to use all the time day and night , i for sure want an illuminated retical and as bright a white gun mounted light as you can get , my scope is 4 by 14 set at 4 , that type a rig is only gonna be topped by night vision or thermal,,,,,, the tube size and front objective size youll never tell the differance ,,,,,

Rich Coyle
    The idea of the 30mm tube was to get more reticle travel. The lenses are about the same size in the 1" and the 30mm. The larger tube will not transmit more light. A larger objective will allow more light to enter allowing one to turn up the magnification. Higher magnification, based on lots of testing, allows one to go later in to low light.