I have a long action that needs a new barrel. I have decided i want to go the 7mm route. I want a rifle that has a great barrel life isnt to hard on the shoulder and overall fun to shoot. I also plan to go with a shorter barrel 22inch max but 18 to 20 would be better

The purpose of this rifle is to kill everything from paper to Michigan whitetails and maybe an occasional mule dear or elk every few years. Ranges will be as far as I can find on steel and i will probably keep all of my hunting to mid ranges maybe 600 max.

The two i am looking at is a 708 and have it throated for the 162s seated to the neck shoulder junction so the oal looks like 3.075 with 162 eldx. so it would definitely need the long action but i would block the magazine and use a bolt baffle from a 223 to shorten the bolt throw.

I also load 243 so 708 would keep some reloading equipment interchangeable as well as i have headspace gages. I also got a die set from a freind

My other thought is 284 win. I have lapua 6.5x 284 brass to use and that case would make better use of the long action but would the extra performance from the bigger case out weigh the added cost of dies, headspace gages, i have also been looking at power case trimmers that are based on case families so i would need a trimmer for both families.

My other concern is that the extra powder from the 284 will not gain me much if i only run a 20inch barrel.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk