Thread: Lyman v Redding 3 die set

Basic Member

Lyman v Redding 3 die set

I have been looking for a die set for .223 Rem. So far, I believe I have narrowed it down between the Redding 84111 and the Lyman 7680234. An input from more experienced reloaders? I do not need a micrometer seating die, but do want the option for FL and Neck only sizing. Both of these sets give me that option without a separate crimp die. I have a Lee hand press, but am planning on getting a decent table mount single stage soon.

I want to load 65 SGK, 63 SMP, and 60 Vmaxif that makes a difference.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

LongRange
    heres some good opinions on dies....

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-and-reloading

Basic Member
    Thank you, I have reading for a few hours now. That is a good thing.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

Basic Member
    And then I realized I have read most of that. I guess the take home is don't worry about neck sizing only, just get a good FL size set.

As you start this journey seek quality and what your expectations are. RCBS Hornady are good. Forster for me is a step up and is all most re loaders could ever want.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    You get what you pay for, until the point of diminishing returns. Die set under $100 of good quality, and can I add a neck sizer later if needed? I am looking for up to 500yd minute of groundhog consistency, but with a bullet adequate for yote should I happen across any. I know those three should do the trick if delivered accurately, and there are others. I have to start somewhere though. Thank you for the input. I doesn't save money, but may save a few headaches.