Quote Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
None - consistently.

Big Honkin Jeep gave good advice as to getting into reloading on a budget and still being able to manufacture consistent handloads.

It may take you a little longer and you'll have to pay a little more attention than the people who use higher dollar equipment, but the LEE press, dies, and scale will give you more consistent ammo than the cheap stuff that the big manufacturers put out. Then it will be up to you to tweak the components/loads for smaller groups (seating depths, powder charges, different primers, different bullets. etc).

$200-$250 to get started reloading with the single-stage LEE press.

What I started with:
LEE hand press ($50)
LEE hand priming tool ($20)
LEE Ultimate 4-die set (includes factory crimp die) ($45)
LEE dippers (not needed with a powder measure, but I was in a place I couldn't use a single stage press or powder measure) ($12)
LEE Perfect powder measure ($26)

Total - $153 at current MidwayUSA pricing. You may be able to find "better" equipment at the same or lower prices by shopping for used or clearance.

Add a package (100 pcs) of Sierra Match King 69 gr bullets at $27 and you're up to $180.

One pound of powder (bought locally) should run you $25-$30 depending on where you live.

And you should already have your once fired brass to begin with. If not, you can spend anywhere from $25 to $100 for 100 pieces of brass.
this is how i got started because i didnt have space for a reloading bench. when i moved and could have a bench i bought the anniversary breech lock challenger press and a HF work bench

that original hand press setup was enough that i got better results than i ever had with factory ammo even with my reloading inexperience. it also gave me much more improvement than aftermarket stocks. the stocks worked wonders but not like the reloads did. right now i've got stocks from hs precision, choate, and bell and carlson. i prefer the bell and carlson stocks to either of the others.

as for saving money no you wont load match quality ammo cheaper than bulk crap ammo but will be able to load match quality ammo for about the same price as non bulk cheap stuff.

youll never really save money though. you'll get addicted then buy expensive gadgets then get a better job so you can afford more expensive gadgets, then go on 4hrs of sleep so you have time to use the expensive gadgets and spend all your time at work thinking about the next range trip. its a vicius cycle.....

my original kit with the addition of a tumbler and digital scale worked fine but i've got a whole bedroom full of reloading gear now from upgrading and adding piece by piece over the past few years.

if i were you i'd spend that stock money on a reloading setup unless you can afford both.