Thread: Thread lub for SS barrels ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    My BIL is going to Switch Barrel on His Batt action, shouldered barrel, for His 1,000yd rig. He will shoot the 6Dasher barrel in the absence of wind, and go to 6x47 Lapua when the wind kicks up. His very competent Smith says the barrel should be torqued to 100ft/lbs to insure good harmonics. This may be where the 100fp figure is coming from? I have always felt that 40fp's was plenty on My Savages. With My Shooting, I doubt any improvement in harmonics would even be noticeable?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    My BIL is going to Switch Barrel on His Batt action, shouldered barrel, for His 1,000yd rig. He will shoot the 6Dasher barrel in the absence of wind, and go to 6x47 Lapua when the wind kicks up. His very competent Smith says the barrel should be torqued to 100ft/lbs to insure good harmonics. This may be where the 100fp figure is coming from? I have always felt that 40fp's was plenty on My Savages. With My Shooting, I doubt any improvement in harmonics would even be noticeable?
    This gun right here is my 6mm Dasher. But on really windy days I switch to a 6x47.
    Does he also have 2 brothers named Leroy? Or maybe the smith does? lol
    But that aside, ive watched as what I perceived to be a pretty good smith spin a barrel on by hand, chamber a case, then test fire the gun.
    Not to say he didn't torque it later, but he sure didn't while I was watching.
    Granted, that was in the old days, and maybe he didn't own a torque wrench.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Lube or no lube is an important aspect of torque.

I have no disagreement with someone who chooses not to lube or even if they smack the nut wrench with a hammer to set it, their gun they can do what they want.

If they ask I don't agree with that but they certainly can do what they want.

the lube aspect though is a serious component of a recommended torque.

You should not use a torque that has been listed with a specific lube.

Back when I was doing engines we did not use anything willy nilly. If the book called for peanut butter, we used that (and that was an actual product though they did not use that name, its what mechanics called it as it looked like that, toxic as all hell as I recall)

If they called for engine oil on the threads, we used engine oil and not peanut butter.

If they called for anti size, we used anti seize and the type they specified.

I don't think the Savage barrel nut is in that category of head bolt or con rod camp bolts spec for critical.

I do think if you are going to go with the NSS instructions , then you use both the lube specified and the Torque.

I don't like guessing and that was solid information for staring out (and as noted, people have their own methods) the NSS has h worked fine, I will stick with it.

Smacking with a hammer seems to work fine as well but that is not how I do it.