Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
My preferred app is "Shooter", but as already stated with any app you need to true ballistics as well as your weather data. Using an accurate Denisty Altitude will show you how your data at distances varies a little bit as the weather changes. I think it's more important on the East Coast as the humidity and pressure fluctuates a lot more than the dry and arid temps out west. Based on my recent experience. If you have a good range that you can true your data with 5-6 distances from 600yds out to 1000yds it always made my adjustments much more accurate in the calculator.
This is all true and very good advise.
However, (experts) have been writing books on wind reading for how long now? Which of coarse is another big factor, probably even the biggest.
And still we have (experts) writing about reading the wind.
What works well for those who can, is sighter shots. And yes, even when hunting, sighter shots can and should if possible be taken.
Nothing works better than a sighter shot to asertain current information. Laugh all you want, but a first shot miss is also a sighter shot if you take advantage of it.
Nobody has ever knocked on our door and asked if the deer hanging at our camp were 1 shot kills, and yes, the gravey tastes the same.
It's perfectly acceptable to stuff the magazine full on our old 99s before we head to our favorite stump someplace.
But lord help us if we don't make a first round DRT kill way over there. Its another case of mind over matter.