Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do all new scales REALLY suck?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
    How do you go about sharpening the pivots' edge, and what abrasive to you use or recommend?
    I use a 150g flat diamond file and a loupe I "borrowed" from Maw's dust collectors make'n stuff, aka; gaudy jewelry.
    BTW, the beam balance V shafts are only 1/2 of the equation. Just as important are the pan support hanger loop, it's knife shafts and the pan support "hook".

The end loop's center must be in perfectly centered on the beam's center and have minimum outside to outside end play on it's knife shafts. The inside of the end loop and the inside of the pan support "hook" should also be polished like a mirror . A pan and support which seems to swing side to side almost forever is a very good thing!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Good stuff BillPa

What do you consider "external sources"?
    The earth is connected to the foundation of your home. The earth has natural vibrations Like the Schumann resonance that are constant. Your table or bench acts like an amplifier. Then you have things like the sounds like jet airplanes, helicopters. You also have impacting such as a truck driving by etc... This is constant 24/7/365. Combine that with use and the edges wear.

Most people are unaware of the amount of vibrations all around them every day. See if there is a Seismograph located near you and check it out.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I use a 150g flat diamond file and a loupe I "borrowed" from Maw's dust collectors make'n stuff, aka; gaudy jewelry.
    BTW, the beam balance V shafts are only 1/2 of the equation. Just as important are the pan support hanger loop, it's knife shafts and the pan support "hook".

The end loop's center must be in perfectly centered on the beam's center and have minimum outside to outside end play on it's knife shafts. The inside of the end loop and the inside of the pan support "hook" should also be polished like a mirror . A pan and support which seems to swing side to side almost forever is a very good thing!

Bill

When you say "swing from side to side" do you mean as you face the scale, the pan will swing freely INLINE with the beam?

Mine seems to swing "forever" as you say, and I get tired of waiting on it to stop, so I usually gently stop the swinging with my hand or finger and let the scale settle down again.

And thanks for the tips and replies guys

the pan will swing freely INLINE with the beam
    You got it!

I just got a GemPro 250 and have been very happy with it!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFenix View Post
    I just got a GemPro 250 and have been very happy with it!
    The OP stated this
    I'm not really interested in an electronic scale.

how accurate a scale do you really need?

those that only read to a tenth of a grain best you can hope for is +/- 0.10. Is that accurate enough for you? Probably. Find one of those 0.30 accuracy nodes and aim for the middle. No Problem.

Long Range competition shooter. Might or might not be good enough for you. Most weigh every charge and use extremely accurate scales. Does it make a difference? I doubt they would go to the trouble if it didn't.

^ 'nough said.

swamphonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    and maybe some teeth also!! my fingers are all bent and swollen from being young, tough and stupid. still a time comes when old, tough and crazy as bat **** falls into place. this is one of them times in my book!
    10-4 on that lol. Man it's like the last 10 years people have forgot there are still folks that will clean your plow. I had to make a young fella spit teeth for killing a little buck one night in my front yard. He wanted to act all puffy when I went out to say something it was along the lines of "what the fuahhmmm ahh Stop! Help HELP STOP." I don't have problems from him any more.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    how accurate a scale do you really need?

those that only read to a tenth of a grain best you can hope for is +/- 0.10. Is that accurate enough for you? Probably. Find one of those 0.30 accuracy nodes and aim for the middle. No Problem.

Long Range competition shooter. Might or might not be good enough for you. Most weigh every charge and use extremely accurate scales. Does it make a difference? I doubt they would go to the trouble if it didn't.
    Does it make much difference as to how famous most become?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12