Thread: Headspace To Tight?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    If it closes smoothly on the go gage I'd be suspicious of other things first. Remember headspace is cartridge case base to shoulder Datum line. If you don't have the tools to measure the headspace of the brass cases your just guessing. A few of the new cases might be a touch long to the datum or a short chamber to end of the neck or short throat. I wouldn't be to quick to take it apart without checking the other things first. Let us know what you find.

Basic Member
    It does close smoothly on the go gauge and does not even begin it let the bolt rotate on the no go gauge. Both gauges are PTG and I have used them before on another rifle. I had factory unfired rounds fail to extract on both the Nosler 140 gr Accubond and some Fiocchi 142 gr MK. I guess I do not have the tools to measure the cases. I also have not fired this rifle yet as I wanted to make sure that I would not have to worry about undue pressure due to tight headspace. Like I said I did notice after I colored a bullet (not the case) with a perma marker it was scratched after ejection. Any other ideas on what I should check?

The only resistance when running the bolt is actually at the top of the stroke. Seems like I have to push forward just a touch. The bottom of the stroke has no discernible pressure with the gauge or loaded round.

Banned
    Two different aspects here and I think you are on the wrong track, bullet COAL not headspace.

Bullet: if the bullet is hitting the lands and sticking as a result of that, then your seating is too long for that setup.
    Yes the headspace slightly can affect that, but if it does, your bullet is seated too long its only a few thousands with head space and COAL has quite a range (chamber, bullet type and the throat all have significant affect.

I have a new Shillen 06 that is set almost as tight as yours and I don't have that issue, but I also have a Hornady bullet tester setup to get the first idea of where the lands are, I don't even look at COAL in the book (I also set that off the bullet Ogive with the comparator

Seat the bullets .010 deeper and see if that stops it it on all of them. .005 is a bit marginal for a 100% change. You can ease them back out a bit on future loadins if it likes them really close to the lands.

Head Space: Take a re-sized shell, does it jam as well? If so, the case is too long.

If its been fired in another gun and had minimum bump back, then it may still be too long for your new chamber.

Needs more bump back, fire formed in your chamber and then you are good for minimum bump back again as it is now relative.