I have one of the old long action .308's. I never really liked it since new b/c I thought when I bought it that it was gonna be a true short action. In fact I have never fired it. I have since added several true short actions and it seems to have a permanent spot in very very far back wall of my safe. I can either get rid of it (I don't think for much since its a long action lefty .308), OR I can convert it to something else. I have no real understanding of the old style feeding system other than the fact that it has a spacer to use .308.

My questions are:

1. Can/should I re-chamber to a long action caliber using the same barrel? IE, Can the .308 magazine be converted to a long action caliber? I know I can re-chamber but dunno how the magazine spacer setup will work out. I am also not 100% I want a Heavy Barrel long action anything. I just doubt I will ever use it.

2. Trade it? I dunno if my LGS would even want a lefty franken action. I also don't know if there is some aspect to the setup that might appeal to the internet market. Anyone out there looking for a lefty long action .308?

3. Part the gun out? I can pull the barrel and use it on another true short action I have. I am kinda wanting a magazine fed SA .308 and that barrel would work BUT if I could trade it for one of the new .308 SA LE models I am done w/out having to build. Somebody else may want a lefty LA for a build.

Any suggestions? I kinda hate having it sit unused and I could have some fun with a new .223 or like I said a mag fed .308 something else. My kid is buzzing my ear right now so I dunno if this the clearest post but any suggestions on what to do with the old style LA .308 is appreciated.