Thread: 243 load info

Basic Member

243 load info

Specifically with the Barnes 80 and 85gr TSX bullets, what has been your most accurate powder? The two I have in mind are RL17 and Superformance.

what has been your most accurate powder?
    H4831 with 85gr and Reloader 17 with 75gr.
    Last edited by wbm; 09-06-2016 at 12:49 PM.

SavageShooter

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageShooter View Post
    Don't get that above. Not looking for loads, but wondering if anyone has has success with those bullets, and those powders? They are the most common listed in the Barnes load data, so I was curious. I cannot afford to buy bullets and powder of every brand to test and see. I am not poor but retirement and fixed incomes dictate you make careful purchases.

If several people had had good luck with one particular powder, then it would seem viable to try.

WBM
    Thanks for your feedback.

You bet. Understand the retirement/fixed income scenario...been there for the five years.

Not looking for loads
    Why not? That's one of the many reasons I don't mind paying for the forum. Two of the very best loads I have found for my Axis 223 came from the "223 Pet Loads Let's See Em" post on the reloading forum here.
    Last edited by wbm; 09-06-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Basic Member
    Yea I retired in 2009. Had to. Govmnt regs required it at age 56.

I know a lot of folks get their undies in a wad over posted loads, so I usually go on my own, but knowing certain powders seem to work well with certain bullets helps. I know every barrel is different, but was hoping some consistency would surface.

I know a lot of folks get their undies in a wad over posted loads
    Lot's of silly people in the world. Maybe they should just quit wearing undies.
    Last edited by wbm; 09-07-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Basic Member
    I think I am going to give the Superformance a try. Barnes seems to favor it, at least the barrels they tested it in. They got better accuracy and velocity. Always a nice combo.

swamphonkey
    I've had good luck in my 243 with IMR4350.
    I get good accuracy and speed. I'm getting over 3200fps with 43 gr IMR 4350 80GR TTSX. In a 20" barrel. Holding under a inch. And they knock deer over with high shoulder shots every time. And get good penetration on less than perfect shots. I haven't tried superformance I have been looking at it also. But like you I don't have a lot of money to "try" things that may not work. That's why I stopped going and betting at the cock durby in Louisiana every year. Lol.

Basic Member
    That's what my barrel length is also, factory "J" series. Maybe I can load some of both to compare, accuracy and speed. Most listed loads use a 24" barrel, and in a 243 that's a lot to lose. That little bore needs length to burn the powder. I'd like a 24" barrel, but that rifle is nice and compact as is.

RegisG
    I'm loading heavier bullets because my goal is up to 1200yards. Tried, 80, 87 & 105 . The 105 matchkings with 33gr Varget were pretty tight at 100yds but with my 9.125 twist I don't think stabilize enough at long distance. Going to load 95's with I4350, RL15, and 760 with my Magnetospeed on and see what performs (will report). That is more suited to my twist but, should still work long range. I do know that I'll have to go to a 1:8 for the heavier bullets but, may have to wait until next spring.
    Regis

Basic Member
    I wouldn't mind building a gun like that, but NOWHERE in any reasonable driving distance with a range like that. The longest is 300yds with paper, and I think 450 with a big steel plate.

RegisG
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    I wouldn't mind building a gun like that, but NOWHERE in any reasonable driving distance with a range like that. The longest is 300yds with paper, and I think 450 with a big steel plate.
    I was a benchrest rimfire person and enjoyed it. Moved here near Nashville several years ago and no rimfire ranges/competitions. Found this new range that goes out to 1200 yards with lots of shooters and even long range shooting & reloading training. I've reloaded for hunting and plinking for over 40 years but, this long range stuff is way different. Well, means learning more at my age.
    Regis

swamphonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    That's what my barrel length is also, factory "J" series. Maybe I can load some of both to compare, accuracy and speed. Most listed loads use a 24" barrel, and in a 243 that's a lot to lose. That little bore needs length to burn the powder. I'd like a 24" barrel, but that rifle is nice and compact as is.
    I don't loose a whole lot of speed with my 20" barrel. I have a 24" barrel 243 a custom built m98 I'm not sure who made the barrel but it's not much faster and doesn't shoot any more accurate that's for sure. I might get 100 fps more with some loads and less with others. I think the trade off is worth it because I hunt in tight places and out of my truck a lot and that short barrel is so much nicer trying to shoot out of the window at pigs with out beating my cab up with that long tube. I even got a 7mm08 youth model and put a boyds on it because I like that little youth 243 with the boyds TH on it so much. Now I lost some speed with that 7mm08 compared to my other 708. But no deer or hog can tell.

Basic Member
    Well I got some Superformance today. Will get to Cabelas Sat and hope to get some 80gr TTSX's then. I have some 85gr TSX bullets, but want to try the TTSX because they have a better reputation for opening, plus they have a higher BC as well.

swamphonkey
    I think the TTSX 80 gr in 243 is probably the best bullet there is for hunting. I wouldn't think twice about hunting anything under 500 pounds with it. The nosler E-Tip is just as good. I killed 10 deer last year with the E-tip 243 and all were one shot kills and one grown buck just under 200 yards straight on shot and it passed completely through out the ham. That's about as good as I expect for anything. The only deer I tracked was a doe with a perfect double lung shot she did go about 50 yards or so in the thick. But was dumping a crimson trail. Now I shoot for the shoulder to break them down. And I shot too many hogs to count And I did have a big boar I shot twice but the first shot hit far back a 400 yard plus shot I am surprised I even hit him as he was going across a clear cut and I jumped out of the truck And popped one off at him off hand And I'll be danged it it didn't make him spin and fall and give me enough time to take a better shot. Those mono bullets really made me love the little 243. I got a bunch of rifles and grab it 90% of the time.

Basic Member
    I used an Etip once, in a 308. It was a 150gr and I shot a buck at 180yds and it almost looked like it didn't expand. Very small entrance and exit hole. HOWEVER I did shoot it from a fairly mild load, almost to youth load level, so it might have been at or near it's threshold of opening/not opening velocity.

I don't plan on doing that with monolithic bullets anymore.

swamphonkey
    Try the Barnes TTSX 110 gr in 308 it's a laser beam and crushes deer and pigs.

Basic Member
    LOL right now that gun wears a 243 barrel so it will have to do for a while. Darn Savages ya just can't keep em in the same caliber for very long.

Basic Member
    OK just got back from Eugene, and their Cabelas. Picked up a couple boxes of the 6mm, 80gr TTSX's. Turns out my timing was perfect. I got a pair of hunting boots (I have been needing) and the above bullets. Everything was on sale. The boots I wanted, in my size, were not in stock, but got them ordered, sent to my home, no tax, no shipping. They were marked down in store, plus got another 25% off at register. So I got $5 per box of bullets, and $56 off the boots.

I could get used to stuff like that.