Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Review my technique

Team Savage

Part of this stage will have a barrel on its side. We assumed it was going to be across the barrel so that is what we practiced. Really this position seemed pretty easy and self explanatory. I know since we have to transition that we will basically use same stuff for both positions. I knelt on the pillow. The gravel road we were on was painful but it did put me at a pretty good height. Ill need to play with this a bit more. T out shot me in both positions in slow fire but I took it when the timer went on!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    This is my technique for now anyhow. I lengthened my bipod so I could let it float down past the lip on the front, also laying on a pillow long ways. Using the loophole sling to pull tight against the back of the bipod. I rested my fore arm on the barrel and interlocked both hands on and under the handle/lip of barrel for rear support. I feel like Im basically locked into the barrel then rocked the whole thing just a tiny bit to change elevations.

I did have a problem durning the video and its something I will have to be very careful with. If I dont set up centered on the barrel the bipod starts to walk toward the short side during recoil because Im pulling against it. I set up again later and made sure I was centered and the loophole sling was right down the line of recoil and I stayed put pretty well.
    Close or remove your bipod and go to a high kneeling or double kneeling position. Keep the barrel flat on the ground and put weight on the rifle to keep everything stable. you're forcing the position here and do not look comfortable at all. another option is to add an attachment point to move your bipod closer for these type of surfaces. Spend some time dry firing and build a more solid position.

Team Savage
    I watched your video the other day, and that was the very first position I tried when I picked up my barrel. I watched your kneeling technique. Ill try it again but it felt very odd. I have to leave the bipod on for this stage for the second half, the barrel on its side. I am open to suggestions and will give it a try and see how I can make it work.

Team Savage
    Alright its official. I like the double kneeling position. I was able to hold on a tiny shaft of light between the leaves in the woods behind my house so yeah I think I can hit a rather small target like that. I threw on a regular sling to see if I thought it tightened up. Maybe. It did tighten up the side of the barrel as did the loophole sling so I will probably use it. Ill be doing some more live fire next weekend to acid test it. I think one reason I didnt like it before is using the wrong bag. I used the regular size pump style pillow the first time and it was way too high. This time I used one that is same length and width but have and thick and it works perfectly. It supports the rifle from the bipod all the way back to the mag and the mag touches lightly if I want it to.

So that keeps with the principle of "Get Low".

Basic Member

Review my technique

Good to hear! If it doesn't feel natural or close to then you probably need to make an adjustment, always easier in practice than it is on the clock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    T will probably have to continue to stand. I don't think she could see over the barrel if she knelt down lol. But she does good with that technique.

Most of the stages are pretty common. There is going to be culverts. Just don't know if we are going to shoot over the top or through the center.

Basic Member
    If she ever has doubts just show her this video of a buddy of mine. Nate Webnar of Short Action Precision is the smallest competitor in the PRS bar none! He carries a tactical stool with him for those stages that are normally to tall for him!

https://youtu.be/T8ih8dyZ-jY

Team Savage
    Ive watched him before but she has never seen the video. Ill be sure she watches it.

Team Savage
    We did put a couple large bags on the ground for her to kneel on and it was a no go by the way. I really appreciate your help. Also I want to say in general that I appreciate anyone who takes the time to put video on youtube on this matter. The amount of videos is fairly limited and there are a lot of different scenarios a shooter can find themselves in. For new competitors as well as those that arent so new, seeing and having a chance to try a different approach before a match is very valuable. Case in point when I shot off the barrel in match. You think I looked unstable in my video you should have seen the match. It was ugly. A lot of firsts that day lol.

Right now Im fighting my OCD and not pissing off the match director by asking why the stage description and the drawing of the range targets with ranges dont match. He is going to kick me out for asking too many questions I just know it.

Basic Member
    No problem. I don't try to be brash, I just try to keep my responses simple. A lot of it is trial and error and creating a shooting style that works for you. I try to stay a minimalist as much as possible.

1. I don't like to haul a ton of gear around matches.
    2. You start to become to reliant on the gear.
    3. if you only practice one way many times it doesn't work. I use my gear to try and create a position I'm familiar with when I don't have gear. i.e. the height of the rifle. Sometimes a bag with bring the rifle up to a height that is much more comfortable to work with.

The last thing is to just have fun and not completely over think the course of fire!

Team Savage
    Well as with the previous match, my goal with the next one is 1. dont get disqualified! 2. Beat my wife! The rest is gravy.

Basic Member
    I want to thank you Doc, for posting this thread. I've learned a great deal about the defects in my shooting from the responses to your query, and am well on the road to improving my consistency.

Yesterday I shot some NRA targets at 300 yds for the first time with both my 223 and 22-250. I was amazed at how well I was able to do, but it really is different than the 200 yds I've been shooting. First of all, I had trouble seeing my hits at that distance, making corrections a time consuming process.

My style now is to get set on the gun with a good site picture, close my eyes and relax for 5 to 10 seconds (like you, I had been rolling my shoulder up and in), open my eyes, refine the sight picture and shoot.

I think this has been one of the most important threads I've had the pleasure of reading on this forum, and really appreciate all the help and good advise I've received here. What a great bunch of guys!

Basic Member
    90secs, 3 positions, 3 targets at 445, 690, and 525. 1 shot each target from each position. Still need to clean up some minor errors as I should have cleaned this Stage. But the clock is always working against you!

https://youtu.be/o6i9Kry2WnU

Basic Member
    Barricade Stage, rushed the 2nd position then got it back together. 12" plate at 425yds

https://youtu.be/ndTEg-PVxA4

Team Savage
    T shooting car stage. She cleaned it. She smoked me at this match.

LongRange
    nice shooting T!! you keep handing the docs a$$ to him at these matches and hes going to make you drive your own car to the matches LOL!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123