Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review my technique

LongRange

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    On the Long Range Hunting site there is a topic being discussed entitled (straight back, behind the rifle).
    Whats the opinion of it as to how it applies to tactical type prone shooting?
    I shoot where I'm comfortable which is not straight behind the rifle...I've also heard and seen flat on your stomach and feet spread wide...I don't shoot like that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    Ok so we went back out today to practice off a ladder. We only had time to run 3 strings each. Rain etc. got in the way. Going back tomorrow. Anyhow, Here is a video of each of us standing using sling and front bag. . I have the video's loaded on youtube so Ill put the links up. We werent necessarily shooting on a timer, but each time I got up I ended up having to kind of hurry. The guy was out bailing hay and every time I got up he was passing by so I had to get my shots in.

The first target was 10" shoot n c. The second two were 6". We were only at 120 yrds. Couldnt shoot at steel today, combine took out my target frame! Oh well.

Here is T standing. I thought she did extremely well. This was her first live fire off any type of barricade. She had dry fired a time or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaVmGg-atT8

Then me. Ill admit I picked the best video of three. Not so much that the other two were technically worse as much as I said some things I couldnt edit out. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaVmGg-atT8

T's first attempt. The 10" target. I didnt save mine. Lets just say it wasnt as good. We fired 5 rounds.

That's some good shooting from T....she don't get excited and takes her time she will do well as long as she keeps her cool in a match when the clock starts.

Team Savage
    Now you see why I have to work hard to win.

LongRange
    Lol...you need to take your Ritalin before you shoot.

Team Savage
    I dont have a problem with admitting I lost. I just dont like losing. But shooting against T that is always a probability.

Today was one of those days. We practiced kneeling with the ladder using a pack and pillow for rear support. Standing with sling and without. Then put it all under a time limit.

Distance a mere 200 yrds at 12 inch steel. Frame repaired. Time 90 seconds. As soon as she said go my brain turned to mush, I brushed the trigger making a final adjustment and basically had a ND. Hard to say but things didnt improve a whole lot after that. I had 4 hits with 10 rounds changing from kneeling to standing shooting 5 and 5 at each position. When I fired my last shot I had 20 seconds left on the clock.

T ran out of time with 2 rounds left in her clip but only had 2 misses.

I need to slow down and make better use of my time for sure. Had this been an actual event we both probably would have been DQ'd. lol

That is what practice is all about.

Is it a DQ if you push your bolt forward before getting into position? I thought it usually is. That was really the only correction T needed. She finished saying "hey Im actually pretty good at this!". Yep
    Last edited by doctnj; 08-28-2016 at 03:57 PM.

LongRange
    I told you that clock is a MFer!!!! Now add about 5 times more pressure and that's being on the clock in a match lol!

Yep your bolt has to be back when transitioning from position to position...you get one warning at our match then DQd on that stage...a ND and your gone no warnings.

And yes you need to learn to manage time better and an easy way to practice that is to sit with a timer when relaxing and familiarize your self with the time(just keep running the timer over and over)then start timing yourself dry firing.

I've trained myself to not worry about the time...I don't care if I time out anymore I'm more concerned about making solid hits.

We had a stage yesterday that was two 4"x6" targets hanging on 24" conveyor belt at 330yds...the stand looks like a T with targets hanging on either side of the center post...when you hit one the entire thing is flopping all over...you had 60secs to shoot 8 rounds...but had to make a mag change so 4 rounds change mags then 4 more...several guys scored 3s and 4s because they didn't let the target settle down but they got all 8 rounds off...I only got 6 rounds off and timed out...but had 6 hits...6 slow hits are better than 6 fast misses.

Team Savage
    Hmmmm. since every match is a little different on the rules. That would make me the RO. And I can say she was DQ'd before she ever fired a shot under time. There for I win!

But seriously good points. Will put them into practice right away. We will start working with a timer and dry fire a little each day. We have about 21 days till match so every bit helps.

Team Savage
    This was one of the positions we worked on. This was a practice string before we went on timer. But still we count every miss the entire afternoon.

LongRange
    You guys need to turn your scopes down...if your searching for or losing sight of known targets at know distances the power is set to high.

Team Savage
    Real good point!

Team Savage
    I WON today!! Did some real fun stuff. Shot off the ladder top and bottom with mag change. Prone transitioning to stack of milk crates. Weak side, strong side stuff. Did real well every where except standing at the ladder. T killed me on that position. But when all the smoke cleared, lol, I had the round count.

I am putting a plug in here for my video tutorial I am working on for camo rifle painting. I am uploading some of the video right now and will be posting it somewhere here probably the picture thread.

LongRange
    congrats!! remember what you did today and apply it every time now...i think confidence in yourself and your gear is a huge factor in all of this.

Basic Member

Review my technique

Here's a drill for you. Have someone stuff random dummy rounds in your mag and record yourself. Watch the bad habits appear!

https://youtu.be/fRuNCQAYnwY

https://youtu.be/MUdU3Mr4iN8

"The strength of the wolf is the pack, but the strength pack is the wolf"

Proudly sponsored by Apache Gun Works

Team Savage
    I like that. Certainly will try it. Did well again yesterday. 3 out of 5 standing barricade. That's up from 1.

Basic Member
    Another note. I went back watching the video of you shooting off the bench. Get behind the rifle with your shoulders square to the target. Directly behind the bench. This is the same position you should be in prone position. I the video above on the drill, you can see based on recoil what a square position does for recoil control.

Also the speed drill recoil control is a huge factor for quick follow up shots! I was shooting out to 400yds on the speed drill.

Team Savage
    Yeah, long range said the same thing about my shoulder. I got to the range before the wife did yesterday and specifically worked on my shoulder position. It's hard to tell when your by yourself but I could feel me rolling my shoulder forward to "wrap" the but stock. I think that developed from bad recoil management initially.

Team Savage
    Off topic kind of. But anyone heard of sarges shooting bags? Need pump pillow but dang I have to buy 2 of everything. Sarges are much better price.
    Last edited by doctnj; 09-06-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Basic Member
    Surges or Sarges?

Team Savage
    Sarges darn auto correct

Basic Member

Review my technique

I just got one of his "Wild Bill" bags. About the perfect balance between a rear bag and barricade bag. He is a one man shop though and it took a little over a month to get delivered.

I believe Wiebad has a package deal now willing gets you pretty everything you should ever need as far as bags go for like $200. A solid deal for sure.

Team Savage
    If he possibly has 2 in stock I'll grab them otherwise I'll go with WB. Practice shows how bad that bag is needed and if a lot of guys are running one don't want to start off at a disadvantage.

LongRange
    Doc you must be a popular guy your in box is full.

Basic Member
    Learned a lot on this topic. I too was bringing my shoulder up and into the stock. Now it's taking quite a bit of effort to break that habit, not to mention my groups are all over the place as I learn a new technique.

Relax, relax relax.........Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Team Savage
    So we found out for sure there will be some barrels in the next match as well as some culverts. So we set out to get in some practice and try out new positions. There was a barrel stage in the last match as well and I blanked that stage. T smoked it on the other hand. Here goes the excuses. She is short like 5 ft nothing. So the barrel is real comfortable for her. But I screwed up selection of gear to use on that stage and wound up with an unsupported rifle wobbling all over the place. T had gone right before me and I tried to use the same bag combination and my rifle wouldnt fit over the barrel. The cadex competition tube on my rifle is longer than standard tube and that put my bipod further away from the grip. So when I set my rifle on the barrel, it caused me to not be able to use the rear bag set up T did. We were shooting at a 6 inch target at around 350 so I just couldnt pull it off.

Well this is what we worked out. T still sets her bipod on top of barrel with use of pillow long ways. During the video review we saw how she was switching out hands on the grip to work the bolt. Toward the end of the video she settled down and rested her elbow on the rim of the barrel for a more stable position although she was hitting well at all distances. Another piece of gear we both tried and really liked for this is the loophole sling. It helped take the wobble out of the barrel and really helped my set up.

Team Savage
    This is my technique for now anyhow. I lengthened my bipod so I could let it float down past the lip on the front, also laying on a pillow long ways. Using the loophole sling to pull tight against the back of the bipod. I rested my fore arm on the barrel and interlocked both hands on and under the handle/lip of barrel for rear support. I feel like Im basically locked into the barrel then rocked the whole thing just a tiny bit to change elevations.

I did have a problem durning the video and its something I will have to be very careful with. If I dont set up centered on the barrel the bipod starts to walk toward the short side during recoil because Im pulling against it. I set up again later and made sure I was centered and the loophole sling was right down the line of recoil and I stayed put pretty well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast