Thread: Lightest stock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    The Stockade Hunter with a blind magazine is the best LA light weight (30 oz.) aftermarket stock I've found for the money. But you'll have a long wait for a custom build. I suspect the B&C Savage Sporter would have a similar weight. The Savage metal DBM frame assembly and mag. bottom cap will add about 9 oz. to the stock verses going with a blind magazine stock. Also look for someone selling a take-off Savage 111 LWH walnut stock (28 oz stripped). It is the lightest wood stock I've found for a Savage LA. Mine is 2 lbs, 6 oz after replacing the plastic bottom parts with metal.

The lightest, low cost stock option is to use a Savage factory synthetic stock (ex. Trophy Hunter, 16 LWH) with the Axis style DBM magazine. Bed the action and recoil lug area including the 1st stock well in front of the recoil lug since this is a stock weak point. Then add a 1/4" stock forearm pressure point (8 lbs) under the barrel 1" from the forarm tip. http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...smithing_0206/ . I recently did this with a Savage 16 LWH. It cut my hand load groups size in half and the forend no longer has any visible flex with a tight sling hold or bipod. I also replaced the cheap plastic TG with metal one and sprayed on some Krylon webbing paint for texture, grip, and a custom look.

Last edited by jpdown; 08-20-2016 at 11:30 PM.