Thread: Muzzle break vs optics

Cmonsta

Muzzle break vs optics

I did not know muzzle breaks can be bad on scopes. I ordered a Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 for my 308 that has a break on it. Should I be concerned or will this not be an issue for me.

Basic Member
    never heard of such a thing

Cmonsta
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...-pros-and-cons

Field and stream says its fact lol. I have no experience with a break, so this could all just be blown smoke. That's why I wanted to ask here.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmonsta View Post
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...-pros-and-cons

Field and stream says its fact lol. I have no experience with a break, so this could all just be blown smoke. That's why I wanted to ask here.
    The goal is to sell magazines in order to satisfy their cash base, the advertisers, and controversial articles can be used as a ploy to help.

If F&S says it, it must have been true about 30 years ago!

Brakes do cause some reverse recoil, but modern scopes are more likely to be beaten to death by the backward recoil of an air rifle than a centerfire with a brake. Modern scope makers even have to compensate for the forces associated with reciprocating semi-autos, so a brake is small potatoes.

Cmonsta
    Awesome thank you guys!! Like I said I'm new to it so I wasn't sure at all. Read another write up after I made this post and had me worried. I've never spent $650 on a scope (I know to many that's junk lol) and started to worry after reading that stuff. Glad modern scopes have caught up to that.

I have that exact scope on a braked 260 with thousands of shots.
    No issues.

Cmonsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    I have that exact scope on a braked 260 with thousands of shots.
    No issues.
    Awesome!!! Thank you for the response.

Basic Member
    I've got a PST on a braked 7mm rem mag. No issues with loosing zero on the rifle.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

swamphonkey
    I wouldn't even think about it. I have a break on my 7 rem mag and it has a Pentax lightseeker on it that I put on it the day I got it 17 years ago and have shot it a lot and its fine also. I'm thinking if a scope breaks on a rifle with a break it would have done the same on one without just as soon. You should be fine.

Basic Member
    If a scope fails with a muzzle brake. It most likely would have failed without one.

"The strength of the wolf is the pack, but the strength pack is the wolf"

Proudly sponsored by Apache Gun Works

Basic Member
    I don't think you will have any worries with the Vortex HST. I had some concerns about muzzle blast on my 15" barrel causing issues but no problems so far. Some of the guys I shot with used 85-90 grains of powder in 16-17 inch barrels and they didn't have any issues.

Brakes do cause some reverse recoil
    Thank you for spelling muzzle "Brake" correctly.

Basic Member
    I suspect the failure of scopes on a braked rifle is for the same reason that piston spring air rifles will break scopes. Something about scopes being constructed to handle the forward thrust from the spring piston ( and forward thrust by the brake).

nobody
    my arm a lite 50ar has had the same nightforce scope on it since i purchased both new about 13 years ago. believe me if a brake would beat a scope to death that rifle would do it. another buddy of mine has the exact same rifle with a b.s.a. catseye scope on it. that scope has been on his rifle since before i purchased mine.

not so sure i'm going to buy a muzzle brake kills scopes at all guys. just not buying it.

Most brakes are not efficient enough to actually put forward motion inertia on the gun when fired. It's this forward inertia that can kill "some" scopes. Some of the large, oversized shark gill type brakes, and I think some of the early Barrett brakes can actually put forward motion inertia on a rifle when fired. If your gun moves backwards *at all* when fired, then there (obviously) is no forward inertia being exerted on your rifle (and scope).

So just to say that "brakes kill scopes" is patently false. But some scopes are built to only allow for recoil in one direction. Either the crosshairs themselves, or the mechanical adjustments internal to the scope can be broken by forward inertia. Which is why many scope makers will void their warranty if you have installed their scope on a spring/air piston air rifle. Those type air rifles have forward inertia recoil, and have been known to kill scopes.

And if your barrel has a BREAK, then it's broken. If your barrel has a BRAKE, then it has a device at the muzzle that's designed to reduce recoil motion by directing muzzle pressure/gasses rearward and/or upwards.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Muzzle Brake in Action. Reduces recoil by redirecting the gasses, but even on my 6 Creedmoor you'd be far fetched to break a scope with it unless it was of extremely poor quality or designed for something more like a bbgun, Spring Air Rifle, or crossbow.

Basic Member
    The author of the Field and Stream article was probably tired of sitting next to guys with muzzle brakes at the range and was trying to dissuade a few people for his own selfish comfort.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk