I am really new to reloading but I've done a lot of reading on load variation between different loading manuals. From my reading the only manual I've heard that has load data for cfe223 in 308 win. is the Hornady 9th edition.
Hornady lists a starting load of 38.3gr for a 165gr bullet at 2100fps which to me is really light but as I said I'm new to this and a max load of 47.2gr at 2700fps. Hodgdon lists a starting load of 45.4gr at 2649fps and a max load of 48.3 at 2829fps. The Hornady manual doesn't list pressure info but Hodgdon lists the max load of 48.3 at 61,500psi.
Now I loaded a couple rounds at 42.7gr at a listed velocity of 2400fps (I know it'll be different depending on a few things but I have no chrono.). I didn't crimp the rounds either (from reading that'll effect velocity).
I fired one of these rounds and stopped because I wasn't even sure it exited the barrel. (I couldn't tell where it hit in the backstop) I ejected the case and it was still cold which I've never had happen. I checked it with a mic and it is still the same as FL sized also. So from this info I gather that this is a really light load.
I was wondering if anyone is or has used the CFE223 powder for 165gr bullets out of a 308. With my starting load at 42.7gr the powder is pretty close to the neck and I really don't want to get into compressed loads. I'm just wanting some reasonably accurate deer loads for ranges of 20-200yrds using 165gr Nosler BT bullets.
Thanks in advance for any info and sorry for the long post just wanted to get as much info as I could.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk