I just refinished an old model 11 using rust bluing. Turned out fantastic! I polished the receiver to 600 grit before hand and then applied rust bluing solution. I put a stainless bbl on the rifle so I can't speak as to how that would have turned out.(probably more difficult to maintain nice straight lines) I used LMF solution. The trick using LMF is to not overlap as you apply solution but apply in long straight strokes. Also the cotton ball should only be very slightly damp. After solution is applied to cotton squeeze out every last drop until it is almost dry. Then make your passes. I cleaned and degreased beforehand although instructions say it is not necessary.

Another tip is to build a good rusting box. Cardboard, aluminum foil, and cheap shop light can be used to build a disposable and cheap box.

The coloring is more matte like than a hot blue, but a very deep black color.

This method is also slow, so set aside a couple days at least that you can tend to things.

Water for boiling is also important, as is a stainless pan/pot. I actually had failure with my first choice of cheap distilled water. Ended up buying a premium distilled water which turned the rust black almost instantly. I also just used old denim for carding.

Hope this helps!