Hey guys,
I'm contemplating building a 6.5 for a long range deer rifle. Why? Is it because my 7mag, 280AI, and others I have won't do it? Nope, cuz I think I want one 😆.
Anyways...Ive been doing some research into some of the 6.5s that interest me. I've got mainly long actions so it will be a LA cartridge. I've kinda looked at the 6.5-06, 6.5-06AI, 264WM, and a little bit at the 26 Nosler.
I talked to stomp442 a couple weeks ago and his 6.5-06AI is quite impressive, I like it.
Then I ventured to the magnum realm. The 264Wm is a good cartridge, and it seems you can get pretty impressive numbers from it (but the 6.5-06AI seems to be really close). I don't have a problem with belted magnums as I know some people do. So I like it too lol.

Next brings me to the 26 Nosler, I'm curious if it's actually up to all the hype. Ive read a couple articles (I know it can be taken with a grain of salt) and it seems they're not getting nearly what Nosler claims with their factory ammo, at least the ones that I've read. And reloads are about the same it seems. I'm just wondering if anyone has done real world tests comparing the 264WM and 26 Nosler ie..anyone here.
I know ya get to the point of diminished returns but geez! Barrel life is not a concern really because it's a deer hunting rifle. Just curiously about some input on any of these cartridges. I'm not set on any one cartridge right now as it will be a while before I build, just like researching this stuff.
Thanks for any input!
Scooter