Sell it and move on.

Adrian

Basic Member

Re: Copper Fouling Problem

Quote Originally Posted by AVanGorder
    Sell it and move on.

Adrian
    And just why would I want to do that?

It amazes me the amount of smartazzes there are on this forum!

AVanGorder

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by AVanGorder
    Sell it and move on.

Adrian
    And just why would I want to do that?

It amazes me the amount of smartazzes there are on this forum!
    I didn't mean to offend you and perhaps I should have explained a little more. What I was thinking, in my own mind, was that if a gun requires so much work to make it shoot, or to keep it shooting right, it just isn't worth it to me.

Adrian

Try this stuff. It leaves all other copper cleaners in the dust. The best part is it contains zero Ammonia, and won't hurt your barrel. Bill T.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=225250
    We are lending money we don't have, to kids who can't pay it back, to train them for jobs that no longer exist.

358Hammer

In this thread there is a picture of a scalloped bore. I purchased a 338 factory barrel a year ago on here. The bore was twice as bad as the picture on here. Not wanting to pawn the garbage off to another I sent it to Savage. They sent it back to me saying quit using a borescope or magnifying glass to look inside.
    For a long time I just left the barrel in a drawer before I finally sent it to a barrel maker to see if they could lap it so I did not have those stupid cleaning problems.

I am happy to say that barrel cleaned up very nicely and is a real shooter. I had the Nitride treatment done as well and I have yet to clean the barrel after about a hundred rounds.

In my humble opinion. If you pay money for a item, why should you or I have to pay more money or time in making it function correctly?

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
    Update-
    I bought 2 different brands of Foam Bore Cleaner and tried them out on the 110FLP 25/06 and my 10FCP 308 today. I sprayed it in both barrels and let it soak for 1/2hr them patched out the bores. The 308 doesn't foul much,so it cleaned up with the first try.
    The 25/06 is just a PITA though,After soaking and cleaning the bore 3 times with the foam and also using a brush through the bore afterwards,it still has a load of copper in the bore.
    I have ordered some Tubbs Final Finish bullets,and will give them a try before ordering a new barrel.

As far as the bullets that I load and shoot out of this rifle,I'd say that they all are about the same when it comes to the copper fouling.
    I'm shooting Berger,Barnes,Hornady,Nosler,and Sierra bullets in 100,110,115,117,and 120grain.

Maybe I'm just too picky,but if my Savage 308 and 300WM will shoot 1/2moa or smaller groups the 25/06 ought to be able to do it also.And without fouling the bore to bad.
    You can safely leave most types of foam cleaners such as Wipeout in the barrel overnight, and they get a deeper cleaning. When
    breaking in my .25-06 112 VLP, it took three nights of doing so until it got to the 50 or 60th round. Starting out, it usually got MOA
    with 75-100gr bullets. It took awhile to do so with the 115gr Berger VLD's. I also have a couple of relatively new Mod 12 VLP's in
    .243 and .22-250. The .243 was quite a bit better, and the .22-250 was a lot better during break-in to clean.

If it were me, I'd give Joe DeGrande at Customer Service a call prior to doing the Tubb's Final treatment. He has treated me more
    than fair. It may be a matter of "all bets are off" after fire lapping, though.

Sorry about the out dated above post. Didn't notice there was a second
    page. :-[

Quote Originally Posted by billt
    Try this stuff. It leaves all other copper cleaners in the dust. The best part is it contains zero Ammonia, and won't hurt your barrel. Bill T.

Guess I got lucky finding a 16oz. bottle for $18.99 locally. And it does do an excelent, job of cleaning! :)

Quote Originally Posted by p5200
    Guess I got lucky finding a 16oz. bottle for $18.99 locally. And it does do an excelent, job of cleaning! :)

Bore Tech Eliminator is amazing stuff. After I got it, I put a wet patch of it down the bores of my rifles I thought were clean with Sweet's, and Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner, and the patches came out GREEN! Bore Tech Eliminator is now all I use. It's got Ammonia based copper cleaners beat 11 ways to Sunday! I gave my Sweet's to a guy at our local club. I have no further use for it. Bill T.
    We are lending money we don't have, to kids who can't pay it back, to train them for jobs that no longer exist.

navymrchief

Just my 2 cents. I tried three different, foam bore cleaners until I got to "Wipe Out" which I now use, exclusively, on all my rifles that copper. I have a .338-06 E.R Shaw and a .416 Taylor Shilen (both chrome moly barrels) that are the worst for me. But after a couple, to sometimes 3 or four, applications of the Wipe Out, I eventually get all the copper out. The same company also make an accelerator that helps the cleaner to work even a little better. I always break in my barrels and never shoot any of my "broken in" barrels more than 15-20 shots without running a solvent patch and nylon brush through them while at the range. As mentioned, by one of the other posters, I have much less problems removing copper from all of my SS barrels.

longpoker

After trying all most every cleaning solvents on the market, I finally settled on KG1,KG2,KG12 and KG3. I do use patch out as my first solvent followed by KG1,KG12 if needed or then followed up with KG2,KG3 in that order.
    This method works best for me. I have tried Bore Tech CU2+copper remover and Bore Tech Carbon remover,both work well. You need a lot of patches but they come out clean. I will use both a bronze brush and nylon ass needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12