Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
"Really good" is always better than "just OK", no argument there.

However, my Mueller 8-32 x 44 scope priced at about two hundred and fifty bucks is better than you might think. I have it mounted on my .223 fun gun, but if the Sightron III on my .223 F/TR gun ever shoots craps, I'd slap that Mueller on and go to the next match without any worries. If the choice is a $1500 scope or no scope at all because someone only has a few hundred bucks to spend on glass, the Mueller is a reasonable solution. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Also the Sightron Sll would be in your price range of under 500 bucks with 6x24's going for around 400. The Sll big sky is more and having both big sky and regular Sll i would go with regular for the difference in cost which saves you about 100-150 bucks. Not sure about the Vortex crossfire II but the crossfire that came out first had lots of problems. the viper and up are decent scopes for the money. As darkker said don't mix retical and adjustments if you plan on using the retical to measure for adjustments. You can go past 18x and have good glass without going over $1000 but you have to shop to find the deals. Sightron Slll 10-50x60 price rounded up to nearest $5 i have found for $970. Everything has limits and not everyone likes the same thing or there would only be one choice. Clarity, eyebox size, consistant adjustment are the top three things to look for and not necessarily in that order. Good luck with whatever you decide on.