Thread: Help The New Guy Pick an Optic?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Justin,

I have another choice for you. I'm a BIG fan of the Primary Arms, but didn't start out as such. The scopes I have are the 4-14 FFP Mil/Mil.
    Here is food for thought, given what you want to do; and I didn't look into the others, so don't take this as any specific comment.

DO NOT mix turrets and reticles. If the reticle in the scope is a Mil-dot, the turrets better me in mils. Mixing the two systems is unforgivably stupid, unless you like packing around a calculator, magic conversion wheel, etc.
    I'm also not a fan of SFP(second focal plane) scopes. With a SFP the turrets only match the reticle at one magnification, and that is typically max power.

I've done some reviews here, but most are on another board; on the PA. The scopes I have are only @ $230. They are standard mil-dots, and aren't as "busy" as the HUD reticle, but that's preference. They also have more adjustment than the newest(upcomming) PA scope. It *MAY* allow you to get to 1,000 without using a canted base. It is MUCH better glass/coatings than the $750 SWFA 3-15.

I started out testing the PA as a way to break and review "cheap" scopes, only it won't break. It has been strapped to a 4-wheeler and tumbled down some hills, rattled around the bed of a truck on a few trips to AZ and back. Can't recall how old the first one is, but guessing about 3 years. Tracking is still rock solid and zero never floats.

It isn't a $1,000 scope, but it is better quality than MOST $700-800 scopes.

cheers
    Last edited by darkker; 07-21-2016 at 09:38 AM.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.