Rather than convert you rifle I would suggest either locating a older Savage 340, A, B, C, D or Series E model. Only down side is there used prices are nearly what a new Model 40 runs. The Model 40 is a single shot while the Model 340 used a five round clip. The clips are fairly easy to buy used but have gone up in price too the $40 range. Another excellant rifle is the CZ527. Cost for a used one will still be over $100 more than the Model 40. Lots of Ruger 77/22 Hornets in the used racks mainly due to accuracy problems which directly is attributed to the horendous trigger pull. This is easily fixed with a Timney trigger kit.

Hearing the glowing comments others have posted about the 204 Ruger can't believe there's one out there that doesn't shoot one hole groups. Actually I bought into the hype couple years ago and picked up a barrel for my Encore. So far I've not been impressed. The 223 Remington will do everything the 204 will do except shoot a little flatter and little extra velocity. Wind drift is off the charts where I live so not even a good PD setup.