Thread: 10 predator flier

Basic Member

10 predator flier

Ever since I bought the max 1 in 243win I've been having an issue with a first round flier. We are talking 3 inches at 100 yards. What could cause this? The next 4 shots are one jagged hole and it is always the first rounds that does it.

LongRange
    have you let someone else shoot it?

Basic Member
    Actually no... I might try that

Either barrel stress, or shooter error.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    1st shot of the day (Clean cold bore shot-cold bore shot)? or 1st shot each 5 round string?

Barrel free floated muzzle to lug including barrel nut?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbp75503 View Post
    1st shot of the day (Clean cold bore shot-cold bore shot)? or 1st shot each 5 round string?

Barrel free floated muzzle to lug including barrel nut?
    First shot in a 5 shot string. I haven't cleaned the barrel in close to 100 rounds. It is ALWAYS the first shot. Barrel is free floated and stock torque was checked twice just to be sure it was within specs. Bullet weight doesn't matter, does it will all 3 weights I reload, 58,75,95 and does it with factory ammo as well. I predator hunt so setting the scope to the first shot doesn't really help me since I tend to need more then one shot if I call in pairs or packs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Either barrel stress, or shooter error.
    Not doubting you because I asked for help, but what error could I be making on the first shot every time and not on my follow up shots? I mean that seriously, don't want anyone to think I'm being condescending.

Basic Member
    Mind you in I tend to take 3-4 rifles to the range at a time, rifles stay resting standing up with the bolt open between groups.

Basic Member
    I would suspect it is heat related.
    First I would loosen the action bolts and stand the rifle on the stock and tighten the front bolt to spec and tighten the rear bolt to 15 inch/lbs.
    Next I would suggest re-checking free float with two(2) index cards all the way to the face of the lug.

Basic Member
    I'll try torquing it that way an see. I used a playing card to check free float without and resistance.

Basic Member
    Maybe an action not bedding properly.... have you tryed loading the mag with 3 or 4 instead of 5 and seeing if there is a difference... also cycle your first round and eject it.. look if there is any noticable marks on the bullet or casing.. is there a different feel when closing the bolt on the first round out of the mag?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 87tpita View Post
    Maybe an action not bedding properly.... have you tryed loading the mag with 3 or 4 instead of 5 and seeing if there is a difference... also cycle your first round and eject it.. look if there is any noticable marks on the bullet or casing.. is there a different feel when closing the bolt on the first round out of the mag?
    All things I'm going to try and see if it works

Quote Originally Posted by scionxb3003 View Post
    Not doubting you because I asked for help, but what error could I be making on the first shot every time and not on my follow up shots? I mean that seriously, don't want anyone to think I'm being condescending.
    If it's Shooter error who knows, but usually eyes. I shoot with a fellow who is ALWAYS about a Mil off to the left/right when we begin shooting. Once we shoot some he gets himself squared away; until fatigue gets him.
    If it's stress, well that likely comes from Savage QC. If the barrel has stress in it, once the bore warms it will straighten out. If a barrel has a "wow" in it, Savage techs bend it straight before assembly.

Sorry, double posted
    Last edited by darkker; 04-13-2016 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scionxb3003 View Post
    First shot in a 5 shot string. I haven't cleaned the barrel in close to 100 rounds. It is ALWAYS the first shot. Barrel is free floated and stock torque was checked twice just to be sure it was within specs. Bullet weight doesn't matter, does it will all 3 weights I reload, 58,75,95 and does it with factory ammo as well. I predator hunt so setting the scope to the first shot doesn't really help me since I tend to need more then one shot if I call in pairs or packs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 87tpita View Post
    Are you always loading 5? Try loading singles. I'd bet the rounds in the mag are influencing the bolt.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Corey Schwanz
    Cold bore vs hot bore issue? Try burning one into the berm then make your 5-shot group to see what happens. Also try the idea of loading in the chamber 1 at a time if you aren't already.

One thing I would do is clean the barrel real well with carbon remover and copper remover, to start fresh. If you bought it new and have just put 100 rounds through it from new it should be cleaned every 40 rounds minimum.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    One thing I would do is clean the barrel real well with carbon remover and copper remover, to start fresh. If you bought it new and have just put 100 rounds through it from new it should be cleaned every 40 rounds minimum.
    Copper may well be a problem if you haven't cleaned it in 100 rnds since new. My Savage barrel coppered very badly, very fast when new. Keeping it clean til it shoots in is always a good idea.

Basic Member
    Just an update, savage replaced the barrel. Wouldn't tell me why but they did. Still haven't had time to re shoot it but hopefully will by next weekend.

dfrosch has something tangible. Run with that first.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    dfrosch has something tangible. Run with that first.
    I tried that. Savage ended up replacing it so it shouldn't be an issue now. The paper they sent back with it said it shot like a .4 something in the last range test after the new barrel so it should be good now.

Banned
    Good deal. Pretty odd situation that the remedies did not explain, bad barrel yes.

Single load was a good idea, but 3 inches off on the first shot and then everything good after that did not track with other than a barrel problem.

If there is something that bad on the first shot then it will randomly insert itself.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Good deal. Pretty odd situation that the remedies did not explain, bad barrel yes.

Single load was a good idea, but 3 inches off on the first shot and then everything good after that did not track with other than a barrel problem.

If there is something that bad on the first shot then it will randomly insert itself.
    Talking to other smiths the best answer I go was after the first shot the barrel is heating up and correcting whatever issue was at hand. Either way, I'm happy it's shooting good now. Only put some factory Winchester through it so far but I'm optimistic at this point.