Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretching it out on some milk jugs

Stretching it out on some milk jugs

Hey guys here's a 4 or 5 min video I put together from a few weeks ago. It's just proof that if I can do this anyone can lol.
    https://youtu.be/DklKaMcS01U.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Way to go Scooter, nice shooting.
    But that last one didn't look more than 950 to me. lol
    Do you plan on any bear hunting this year?

LongRange
    Nice shooting scooter!!

You have bears I have horses lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!
    Yobuck, There's not many bears where I do most of my hunting. That place in the video is about 2.5hrs down the road at my in-laws. It's in one of the 4 bow-only counties(deer) in the state. To be honest I'm not sure if they allow gun season for bears down there or not.

LR, nice! I knew you had horses there, but thats about as good as it gets lol.
    I will say you didn't see all the misses, I took those out or you would still he watching lol. It wasnt really that bad but the wind is crazy up there, and I'm a novice so that doesn't help either lol
    Scooter

LongRange
    Lol I figured...first thing I noticed was the heavy brush moving in the wind.

The horses were about 25yds to my right the entire time I was shooting walking along the draw and ended up at my target...I had to go down and Chase that one off.

What were you shooting the jugs with?

Nice shooting at various ranges. What camera equipment are you using?

Basic Member
    That's a wonderful place to shoot, to bad its as far as it is from you.
    But its a good reason to agree to visit your mother in law lol.
    It appears to be a reclaimed coal strip operation, lots of them not far from here also.
    A friend has a very large track like that with shooting shacks in good locations about an hour from here.
    He has also built lots of permanent steel targets so far to 1600, with plans for going to about 2500 all visable from one location.
    But meanwhile there are rocks to shoot at till he gets it all done.
    A good place to observe various cartridges, as well as a very nice way to spend a fall day when the leaves are in color.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Hey guys here's a 4 or 5 min video I put together from a few weeks ago. It's just proof that if I can do this anyone can lol.
    https://youtu.be/DklKaMcS01U.
    Scooter
    Nice shootin! Shooting reactive targets is always wayyyyyyy more fun than punching paper, especially, at distance.

Curious, what cartridge and in what kind of gun were you shooting?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I've not shot distance like that but a couple times. It's really hard there it seems because the way the mountains make the wind change direcctions. There's always a real stout breeze up there.

Yobuck, you're exactly right, it's an old strip. My father-in-laws buddy took me up there last summer to show me around because he knew I wanted to do some LR shooting. Can't remember how much it shows in the video but if I pan left of my 977 milk jugs I think I can get to maybe 13-1400 there, 1500 if I squeeze maybe. I may try to run down there this fall, I've not decided yet. It would be great shooting especially when it cools off some.

Jpx, I was using a go pro on my truck and a Sony handycam (can't remember the model right off) for the long shots. It's a new camera,. I've not used it alot yet. I used my Nikon 1 for alot of my hunting stuff but the lenses they offer aren't quite enough to see on really far shots.

I was shooting a my 6BR, I pestered LR about dies and loading for it for a while. He's been a big help.
    Savage 110 (old "short" action)
    28in McGowan 8 twist
    105gr Amax

Scooter

LongRange
    gotta love that little cartridge blowing up milk jugs at 977yds!!

LongRange
    almost forgot....i think we could take up a collection and get you a real ammo box for christmas.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    almost forgot....i think we could take up a collection and get you a real ammo box for christmas.
    What he needs more is a real bench.
    That one will promote a serious case of wobbles.
    That plywood top supported from the rear rack of the 4 wheeler would be a better option.
    Ace those legs and the stool, kneel right on the ground with a small carpet scrap for padding.
    Ace that bipod for one with leg notches also. Last thing you need is one of those failing when your
    wailing away at that bear. lol
    The shooting part when hunting, is the easiest part if your well prepared before hand.
    Especially in areas like that with no obstructions to conceal animals and block shots.
    But any type of distraction from your total concentration on shooting at the animal can be fatal.
    Last edited by yobuck; 09-02-2016 at 10:14 AM.

LongRange
    no need to pack a bench around when you have the most solid surface right under your feet every where you go.

Basic Member
    no need to pack a bench around when you have the most solid surface right under your feet every where you go.
    Solid yes, but try laying and shooting from some of the places we hunt from and you will beg me to use my bench. lol
    We do happen to have a few pretty good belly shooters on the eastern side of the country by the way.
    I believe many years ago some migrated out there from here. Hell they never heard about baseball until the Dodgers moved west. lol
    But you being a shooter, envision this. Your on your belly and have yourself in a good body position to
    shoot at one of Scooters jugs. But the jug decides to start walking down hill right from you, and dosen't stop
    again for 50 yards or even more. Would you feel ready (right now) as soon as he stops? Or would you be wanting
    to readjust your body position for the new location? But wait, wait because he decided to move again. Hot doe's tend to
    cause that type thing with bucks. Success will have less to do with how well you can shoot from your favorite position, and
    everything to do with adapting to being ready right now to send lead.
    Even you, will do that better from my setup than from your prone position.

LongRange
    sorry scooter...

Buck...first if i was uncomfortable in a prone position how would you even have a bench there and how would it be more stable than the earth? if your just talking about laying in the snow or cold or mud ECT ive done it...ive shot up hill down hill across deep canyons and across water and i regularly practice shooting from uncomfortable,unstable and odd positions and the last few months shooting weak side(left)handed so im an ok shot from just about an prone position you can think of.

second im a pretty fast shooter...i can get 3 rounds off in 7 seconds out of a bolt gun and impact 8" round targets at 100-200 and 300yds with all 3 rounds.

now to answer your question "Would i feel ready (right now) as soon as he stops?" if it was with in 900yds with a 10mph wind or less hed be dead...keep in mind its 1.052 seconds from pin drop to impact so he wouldnt have enough time to flinch...the thing is in your scenario i was in a good position BEFORE he took the walk so its doubtful he would of got to take the first step in the first place.

as far as me shooting better off your set...doubtful...ive shot off a bench one time in my entire life.

gotta love that little cartridge blowing up milk jugs at 977yds!!
    Oh yeah, I was pretty impressed. I know it's not a heavy hitter but I like it.
    Aww come on, kinda hurting my feelings Lol. Figured I'd use it since the brass is so expensive lol. Actually it's a pretty decent price from bullets.com.

Buck,
    I took the bench mainly because it was my first real time shooting there. It was so windy that it was moving me all over so I hit the ground. Lol.
    Scooter

It's hard for me to even fathom shooting a game animal that far. I think you both make good points and you've both got alot of trigger time. I have no doubt either of you could make the shot.
    No need for sorry LR, I like the conversation.
    LR...how many MOA are you taking to get to 1000?

Buck, what are the typical top choices for deer that far where you are? Big 7s and 30s?
    Scooter

LongRange
    21.5....this was the last 1000yd F-class match I shot in a 21+mph wind....

LongRange
    double post.

Basic Member
    Well lets just say most of us (average) shooters, can in fact perform better from a solid platform than laying on the ground.
    If that signifys a sign of weakness or inability so be it.
    Its not, or at least shouldn't be, all about (us), when hunting.
    Its about making a humane kill on an animal, and however a person can best achieve that, is the proper way for that person.
    Remember also, that the excitement factor comes into play far more, when rarely seen live animals are the target.
    Take that bear for example, and consider that the average hunter could hunt them in a place like West VA or PA
    for a lifetime, without ever seeing one. Even though those states are as good as it gets in the entire country for bears.
    So again, (average) people can struggle to perform well under those type situations even with the best of conditions to shoot.
    There's another rifle match somewhere very soon. But maybe another lifetime wont produce another bear or trophy deer opportunity, and no range officer is going to ask if there's any alibis, like a sharp rock poking your gut and elbow or low brush in your face when looking thru the scope.
    Maybe we could persuade that stupid animal to show up somewhere better suited for us to shoot prone from. lol
    Last edited by yobuck; 09-03-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    It's hard for me to even fathom shooting a game animal that far. I think you both make good points and you've both got alot of trigger time. I have no doubt either of you could make the shot.
    No need for sorry LR, I like the conversation.
    LR...how many MOA are you taking to get to 1000?

Buck, what are the typical top choices for deer that far where you are? Big 7s and 30s?
    Scooter
    50 years ago the top choice in PA would have been the 6.5x300 Weatherby.
    40 years ago that choice would have been the 7x300 Weatherby.
    Reasons for those choices would have been good bullet availability, and the 7 stw and ultra mag didn't yet exist.
    The various 7mms are still very popular, whereas the 6.5s are not, at least for hunting.
    The 30 cal is also popular, but fading to a large degree due to the 338s.
    Some of that is really uncalled for, and due to inexperience on the part of some who do the choosing.
    Your not really missing much by having a 300 ultra mag, a 300 Norma, or even a 300 Wby or Win mag, with 190 to 210 gr bullets.
    When it gets too far for them, it might also be too far for us. (If not sooner. lol)
    As for ability, you've already shown you can do it Scooter. And if you have a young kid guess what, they can also.

LongRange
    im not saying im any better of a shot than you and im not saying my way is better...im not one to brag about how great i am....im just saying that prone shooting is my strong position and im confident enough inside 1000yds in a 10mph wind to take the shot...and now your throwing in other ppl and calling them average...if i was with an average shooter and he was behind the rifle in the same scenario i would tell him to wait for a better opportunity but you asked ME if I would be ready not what i thought about an average shooter taking the same shot.

also keep im mind i regularly make cold bore shots out to 1000yds in different conditions and i also know about the rush when you draw down on an animal...ive said a few times here that im not a hunter...BUT...i never said i havent been hunting and have never killed anything...i have...its just easier for my lazy a$$ to drive to the store and spend $10 bucks a LB instead of driving a 100 miles and spending $90 bucks a LB LOL!!

and FYI...there are no sighters or alibis in my class at the matches i shoot and just for the record...if i was laying there with you spotting and had any doubt in my mind about 1 shot 1 kill i would not take the shot...as i said above im to lazy to be chasing wounded animals all over the country side.

Basic Member
    Well there's only one reason you don't take sighter shots in the matches you shoot, and that's because the rules don't allow it.
    And that's o k, because the same rule applies to everybody else, not just you.
    First round cold bore is one thing when your shooting at a location your familiar with, and quite another when your shooting from a location your not. Especially when mountainous terrain is involved.
    Its a rather new game some obviously enjoy playing, and that's all fine.
    But mostly, it really proves very little, other than possibly some bragging rites by those who pursue it.
    We are not snipers, and regardless of the games we like to play, we never will be.
    In my own meaningless opinion, anybody turning down an opportunity to confirm or reconfirm their zero, or otherwise attempting to improve their odds of making a shot, is a fool not to do so.

LongRange
    you know i have love for you Buck and i mean no disrespect with this reply but this is the reason i dont respond to most of your posts...ever time someone replies you change the playing field by adding or subtracting variables to tip the odds in the favor of your opinion and from what ive gathered your opinion is the only ppl that can make long distance 1 shot kills all live in your neck of the woods...well ill tell you this...most of the kills made here in nevada are 300+yds so believe it or not there are some good hunters on the west cost.

and i never said i would just pull up to your spot,jump out of my truck and make a cold bore shot...your right only a fool would!! as far as me shooting in a familiar spot you are right i am familiar with where i shoot but the environmentals are never the same as the last time i shot there...as far as shooting in mountainous terrain im not sure if this is considered mountainous terrain to you or not but this is where i practice....

and to add to shooting familiar places....if that was such a huge advantage why has no one EVER cleaned a long range varmint match at our range where some of the guys have been shooting for 10 plus years and make me look like its my first time shooting?

your right WE are not snipers and never will be...they are in an entirely different league...you are also right that it all proves very little other than bragging rights for some...im not that guy....for me its personal challenge and gratification...and as i said if i was in doubt about "THE SHOT" i would not take it

21.5....this was the last 1000yd F-class match I shot in a 21+mph wind....

Gotcha....my 6BR is around 34-35 MOA. I've not had my 6x55 Swede out that far yet for a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    50 years ago the top choice in PA would have been the 6.5x300 Weatherby.
    40 years ago that choice would have been the 7x300 Weatherby.
    Reasons for those choices would have been good bullet availability, and the 7 stw and ultra mag didn't yet exist.
    The various 7mms are still very popular, whereas the 6.5s are not, at least for hunting.
    The 30 cal is also popular, but fading to a large degree due to the 338s.
    Some of that is really uncalled for, and due to inexperience on the part of some who do the choosing.
    Your not really missing much by having a 300 ultra mag, a 300 Norma, or even a 300 Wby or Win mag, with 190 to 210 gr bullets.
    When it gets too far for them, it might also be too far for us. (If not sooner. lol)
    As for ability, you've already shown you can do it Scooter. And if you have a young kid guess what, they can also.
    Thanks for the info buck, I appreciate it. I'm debating on building a magnum sometime in the future that will have enough payload for deer at that distance. Will I ever shoot one that far?....nope, will I ever get the chance?..doubtful. But just in case. I've not really messed with the 30s, I like the 7's.(I have a 7mm-08(it's mommas), 280AI, and a 7mm Rem mag.) No particular reason, I just do. The 28 Nosler seems intriguing, but the classic 300win mag would work. I was just curious about real life results from some who've been there/done that.
    Scooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast