Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The cost of winning

SidecarFlip

Quote Originally Posted by lal357 View Post
    another is placing in the money and told they will mail you the check and it never comes latest is from a match i shot july 16th was told i should get it in 3 weeks still no show . needless to say i wont shoot it again

Isn't that one of the 4 famous lies... check is in the mail....

Have to share this.
    Went and shot the friendly 22 bench rest competition that I mentioned at the start of this thread. I used my stock Ruger 10/22 target rig topped with an $85 scope, used a caldwell bipod and a caldwell sand bag. Did my homework finding 22 rim fire ammo my stock tube likes, bed the front of stock to front of action and bam! I beat out 4 other shooters that were sporting rigs upwards of $4500 not including there $1000 holding fixtures.
    We'll I'll be............I got my 10 bucks back.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    funny you brought this thread back up Eddie....

heres another $900 bucks to add to my cost of winning LOL....

You got it bad Dave.
    I like your swingers. Shooting station looks freshly built.
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    the targets and barricade are all new...i built the barricade yesterday and the target stands last weekend...i built 9 stands(3 are KYL racks)with 1 and 2 MOA targets from 200yds out to 1000yds...the KYL racks have targets from 1/2moa up to 2moa. im also working on setting up an indoor training station...i bought an IOTA(indoor optical training aid)at the beginning of this year and have had it on my scope one time so its time to start using it as well.

Sounds like you're bizzy. I'm hoping to start on a dualing tree for both pistol and rifle. Aim small, hit small. (Finger s crossed )
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    Yep...I wasn't real impressed with my consistence this year...I shot some good scores some bad scores and everything in between...the plan is to put in 3-5hrs a week dry firing and working positions on the barricade at night. I'm also going to build a portable roof top and bring a 55gal drum home from work and set up stages under time for live fire.

I worked on positions and a little dry fire today for 90mins....

This is looking through the scope with the IOTA on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muscle memory. ......always a good thing to get back to basics a?
    {John Wayne}

Eddie as I stated I started shooting short range BR with a off the shelf factory Savage, I/it was competitive butttt.
    Then I decided to build off a PTA total as of right now around $3600 this is a cheap Savage gun( yeah right). It is now going to be strictly a 100 yard gun. ( hopefully).
    I'm in the process of putting together a 200- 300 yard bench rifle, took a single shot model 12 action ( $450 when bought) sent it out to Sharpshooter for t & t and a trigger($365) ordered a McMillan Edge BR stock ( $575) new replacement barrel (original ( $320).
    I am also considering a new Farley front rest around $1100.
    All this for a possible $25 plaque. Bot mostly because most of the BR guys say a Savage isn't able to compete and I just refuse to believe that.
    I won't even try to add up all I have spent on this game the last 4 years but it is fun especially when that darn Savage brings home the first place plaque.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

$3600 sounds a little on the low side compared to what some of the shooters I shoot with at the range. Taking home 1st place plaques is always a good thing, especially if someone says you can't do it with you're current rig.
    I beat a fellow shooter who sports a $4500 22 bench rest rig at the last bench rest 22 comp with my ruger 10/22, rear sand bag and a bipod .
    If I had the money? ....I'd do the same thing. I just happened to have made the correct wind calls that day. One thing I've learned shooting 22 bench rest comps is temps and weather conditions play a major role more so than 1k large bore comps due to being at the mercy of the 22 ammo.
    {John Wayne}

If I sent the PTA out for trigger and T & T and then put a NF BR scope on it and then a different barrel I could easily send the cost over $5k, but at that point I probably should have just gone with a full blown custom.
    My hole thing is to do it " CHEAP " and by myself and try and get the results of the customs. Plus I enjoy chasing my tail working up loads.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Team Savage
    I also got one of those IOTA's. It works well. My issue is I have to use it on my daughters rifle. I painted mine and the front scope cover is stuck hard in place with the paint. Guess I could take a razor blade and cut it free. I also saw some guys with standard scope caps and holes drilled through them the size of the one on the iota. Dont know if that works. There is a video you can use to practice with on your computer or laptop. The link to the video is on the 6.5guys website. Makes it very realistic. Also movers on it. I have a barrel in my basement and after my oldest daughter leaves after holidays, the barricade is coming inside.

WeldNFool
    I'm spending a bunch of money and have no intentions of shooting competition. Probably makes me worse than the guy who won the $10, lol!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123