Thread: What is a mil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    No problem. If you want to learn how to do it you can just take our Precision Rifle 1 class, which runs $500 by coincidence, and we teach the use of the reticle and how to range. It's amazing as we have people come in who have been hunting and shooting for many years, have had guys with 30-40 years of hunting experience, and leave amazed at what they learn on how to employ a long range rifle. It all comes down to "you don't know what you don't know".

Here is a look at the areas I have ranged and shot targets in matches. Nice large open areas. Having a flatter shooting cartridge makes the odds of a first round hit higher as you can have a larger cushion. Usually knowing the target size I can get within 5-10 yards withing 700 yards and past that to around 20 yards. Not knowing the target size and using standard sizes for a horse, cow or crow will make it not as accurate, as I mentioned, and if you were making an ethical shot then you might not want to take an extremely long shot without a LRF but if the batteries die and you paid a lot of money for the hunt and can use the reticle to get you a decent range to target then you can take the shot. Ranging with the reticle is not the first line to figure target range but a tool in the tool box which is good to know how to employ.

ETA: here is a link to the ASC match page. You can see more pics. http://www.ascmatch.com/#!gallery/nxsth

Nice Rob, I'm guessing not far from where ill be for 6 months within the next couple weeks.
    Id be glad to meet there and pick the targets id like you to range for me.
    By the way, one nice buck in the rut and on the move chasing does around over there would have every one of those guys rethinking their shooting system. Because they wont have much success trying to shoot at him like that.
    Rangefinder batteries usually last thru several seasons, and some of us have ones not needing batteries also.
    How far would you like to see me range at that spot Rob and give you an accurate answer in less than a minit? Would say 3000 yds work? And look mom no batteries lol.
    Seriously Rob if your serious about hunting spots like that let me know, and ill show you how its been done long before somebody showed me.
    And its got little to do with guns or scopes or how well you think you can shoot.
    Last edited by yobuck; 06-24-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Nice Rob, I'm guessing not far from where ill be for 6 months within the next couple weeks.
    Id be glad to meet there and pick the targets id like you to range for me.
    By the way, one nice buck in the rut chasing does around over there would have every one of those guys rethinking their shooting system. but hey.
    Can you explain the bold?

Not my range. Can't go shoot there anytime I want. Just an example that it's not on flat square range that it was being done.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.