Thread: Setting Head space

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    If you have your own brass that you've resized, and never intend to use anything different, you can headspace it off the resized brass. Just don't turn the barrel in so much that the bolt is hard to close on your brass. (I generally close the bolt, put the case in the chamber and spin it in till it stops against the bolt face. Check to be sure the bolt lifts alright, and if it's too tight so as to not lift easily, back it off a bit. Then tighten the barrel nut. Add tape to the case or go gage and check to see that the bolt handle will not close more than 1/2 way against the taped gage).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    If you have your own brass that you've resized, and never intend to use anything different, you can headspace it off the resized brass. Just don't turn the barrel in so much that the bolt is hard to close on your brass. (I generally close the bolt, put the case in the chamber and spin it in till it stops against the bolt face. Check to be sure the bolt lifts alright, and if it's too tight so as to not lift easily, back it off a bit. Then tighten the barrel nut. Add tape to the case or go gage and check to see that the bolt handle will not close more than 1/2 way against the taped gage).
    Yesterday while I was waiting for reply's, I went ahead and resized a piece of brass, adjusting the die until I got .002 more head space-1.103 then a FL sized piece-1.101 and used it as a go gauge and then tape for the no go. it looks like I ended with .0015 of head space clearance. Do you think that is enough?