Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
Paint me a skeptic. I'm an engineer and while this seems very plausible I'm just not entirely sure other than a larger surface(cooling area) that this would result in a 'better' shooting platform. And the added benefit of weight reduction if that is something to worry over.

Does anyone know if there are pictures of these 'holes' in the barrel?

I would love to see some test data on a handful of barrels. Quality of materials I would think paramount to safety also. I would think the 300 Norma mag generates somewhere in the range of 60000psi.

?????

Below should be a link to pdf on bbl thickness and chamber for given steels and pressures.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VI8WUE3R_v_Y2w
If he's doing it and it's working on his platform, then what is to question? Now certainly we can't go drilling our barrels and expect it to shoot better...this may or may not only work on the exact setup he's built...too many variables to say with certainty.

Many old timers would even go as far as adding or removing weight in certain sections, and cutting barrels up to tune them into exactly where they want. I'd bet the holes they drill are also helping in that manner to a certain extent.