Thread: 6.5 saum gap 4s build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Boonecounty

6.5 saum gap 4s build

Looking to build 6.5 saum. Has anyone built one? Long or short action? I was planning on using a standard small shank short action. Or do I need to find a used wsm action? What about buying a Savage Target reciever?

Has anyone built one? Yes they have
    Long or short action? Both
    I was planning on using a standard small shank short action.
    Or do I need to find a used WSM action? You will need the WSM bolt head and firing pin assembly, it will fit on your bolt. You will also need a WSM magazine. A WSM rifle may not be a bad investment.
    What about buying a Savage Target receiver? You could, you would still have to address the bolt head and firing pin issues.

There are some workarounds on the firing pin but not satisfactory. I have done it. I actually did it using a long action magnum and cut the nose down. But then you end up with some ******* parts and that's always a PITA. You could start with a long action magnum, that might be the easiest way to go but I have no advice on that route.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Boonecounty
    Thank you for the information. If I could ask one more question? Where did you purchase your barrel? Did you supply your own reamer?

Try Bugholes.com

Edit: I almost forgot, Apache has the reamer as well. See if he can get a Bartlein or you can get one from Bullets.com.
    Last edited by Robinhood; 05-23-2016 at 06:11 AM.

Boonecounty
    Thanks Robin

Banned
    Locate a used model 10 in 308, 243, etc(short action). Then go here: http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savag...ignment_cut-no and pick up one of those in short action .540+ (magnum). While your at it, get the PTG barrel nut(they have stainless and chrome-Molly), and one of their recoil lugs. All of the PTG parts are outstanding!

Oh, forgot to say... Why not just go with a 6.5 WSM? Seems like SAUM brass will be very difficult to locate.
    Last edited by Dave Hoback; 05-23-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Boonecounty
    I have been researching and have been able to 7 saum brass and loaded 6.5 saum ammo, more readily than wsm. Also if the gap information is accurate then barrel life should be north of 1500 rounds using H1000. Agreed I used PTG parts on my last build.

schnyd112
    Have you looked at a 6.5 Sherman shortmag? SAUM brass, slightly shortened and "improved". Lots of good info out there, designed to shoot heavies out of a standard short action. Fireformed brass, dies and reamer are all available from a certain someone. If you want more info, pm me I will send you a link.

If you want a true 4s, the super secret squirrel schist, look at ga precision. They coined the 4s and can give you all the info you need.

Also, I think Norma just ran a bunch of 7 SAUM brass. It is out there, it's pricey but good brass is available.

Banned
    Oh yeah? Awesome! I say go for it then! If you found an avenue for brass, your good to go. Should be one nice build. Are you just doing a barrel, or is this going to be a full build? Are you doing a stock, or chassis system?

schnyd112
    Bullets.com has Norma 7 SAUM brass for $36.95/25.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    Bullets.com has Norma 7 SAUM brass for $36.95/25.

"Heavens to Megatron!!" That's a lotta bread. Almost $2 per case. Wowsa! That just seems insane! I just grabbed over 1000 pieces of Lake City 7.62, that I resize to my 260 Remington cases. Now, it was all once fired, but it's LC. Cost me $ 76.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    "Heavens to Megatron!!" That's a lotta bread. Almost $2 per case. Wowsa! That just seems insane! I just grabbed over 1000 pieces of Lake City 7.62, that I resize to my 260 Remington cases. Now, it was all once fired, but it's LC. Cost me $ 76.
    The government doesn't shoot SAUM's

Boonecounty
    I am planning on a "full build", McMillan stock, percesion recoil lug, fluted bolt body, detacheable mag system. I love my 260 ( my last build ), love the high b.c. 6.5mm bullets, just wanting something with some more punch at extended range. I will have to look into the 6.5 Sherman. Thanks again for the info.

bw34
    I'd look into the 6.5 Sherman. I'm in the process of building one.

Banned
    Well, I would say that if you have outrun the 260(I have seen a video of two guys ringing a gong at 1900yds), it's time for a LA magnum. I might, would look into a 26, or 28 Nosler!

Boonecounty
    Who wants a long action?