BillPa: First nothing wrong with a quick fix, easiest for most people, I both like to understand the actual cause of the failure and maybe as much or more so, if its a design/production/tolerance issue why has it not been fixed?

Even easier (at least to try) is to make sure the chamber is clean, little time taken, can always bring the wedge with you to pop open while testing (I keep a small brass rod around for that sort of thing.

If you will pardon a pun, I just find it baffling as well as the oddity of it occurring with Savage barrel and not new one (so far)

Again its a theory, but exploring that, it would seem to be a sticky chamber issue (with any of the possible reasons)

And while not scientific as being true, getting a piece of brass fired in another barrel (longer head space) had it stuck with the identical feel of the ones I had stick.

The .020 piece between the baffle and receiver popped it loose just as reported by others (I know that varies, but that is what I had and it worked)

As note in a pervious post, the new Baffle being thicker (at least on my two) goes a small ways toward your solution.

The cam had a bit more rise to it as well.

Next time I have a barrel off I will try it Sharhooters way. What I ran into on the dial indicator was that once the bolt was open it would move back more as no longer forced to be forward.

I had to play with it to get a stable reading. In this case a thumb on the back of the bolt should hold it steady.

Do the set screws gouge the back of your receiver at all?