Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post

It's an early version 99F.

Definitely NOT an 1899D, that would be a military version Savage musket, way off.

I'm no expert, but I'm now properly confused, MD.......... ? ? ? (This is the 1st time I've ever heard of a Canadian Military Model 1899)

Firstly, the OP's 1924 rifle is chambered in .300 Savage - and AFAIK, the 1899 Military rifles & carbines were chambered in only .303 Savage from 1899-1902 & in both the .303 and the .30-30 starting in 1902 ( the Military models discontinued on 1908).

Secondly, in addition to having a musket-type stock (the BP curving around to the rear of the stock comb), AFAIK the 1899-1908 Military 1899's had no model designation letter.

thirdly, I thought that at about the time (1924) of the OP's sample, of the "models" then made (A, B, C, D, E, F, & G), the A's & B's had 26" bbl's; the Model C's the same as the solid-frame A's, but with a 22" bbl + a shotgun butt; Model D's the takedown version of the Model C's; and the Model F's being a takedown version of the Model E's, but with a lightweight tapered barrel.

Could you please help me with my understanding ?