Thread: How often do you check scope base screws?

cica_trix

How often do you check scope base screws?

Hi All,

I was wondering how often do you think the scope base screws should be check or re-tightened? I can easily do the scope rings, and mounting screws since it is easier to access than the scope base.

Is it bad the my scope base was little loose after about 600 -700 shots? Last week my shots were opening up and when I took of the scope, I could turn the scope base screw some more, so I tightened them up again. Now my concern is, is this normal? I have a factory 308 savage 10 fcp sr base. I now torque it to about 25 in-lbs with some loctite 242.

Thank you :)

Basic Member
    Same thing here with a 223.

Shots were erratic, beyond my erraticism. I was driving myself nuts figuring it was my load development, bad barrel and a few other possibilities. I pulled off the scope and the mounts were so loose they were wiggling to the touch. I tightened them up and used Locktite. Firm as can be. BUT, scope originally on the rifle possibly damaged by sitting in rings on very loose mounts. I swapped out scopes and was shooting slightly ragged holes at 100 yards. Anyone think it also could have messed up a SCOPE?

I use DNZ Gamereaper one piece mounts and forget about them. I have them on my .270, .243, 50 cal ML, and 17 hmr. The guys here turned me on to them and I have been slowly migrating all my rifles to them.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Not normal at all. Make sure you completely degrease the screws and base screw holes in the action as if you don't the loctite won't help much as it will slip. I torque my base screws to 30 in/lbs and use blue loctite and never had one loosen. That's thousands of rounds in tactical sniper matches.

Process_engineer
    I was having issues about every hundred rounds. I loctited them as you have and have not had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have 3 Savage actions that may or may net get swapped between multiple barrels.
    3 EGW 1 piece 20moa bases.

I bedded all three bases to the actions(used release agent and popped off after set time).
    Some say that with good fit, bedding is not required, but it is so easy to do.

Then cleaned/degreased and reinstalled using blue loctite.

Tighten with adjustable torque screwdriver.

Forget about them after that.

Basic Member
    I check mine with my scope torque wrench every time I clean my rifle. I use seekins rings and it states to torque to 55 pounds. I don't use lock tight as much as I change my scopes around.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    I check mine with my scope torque wrench every time I clean my rifle. I use seekins rings and it states to torque to 55 pounds. I don't use lock tight as much as I change my scopes around.

Agreed. No loctite for ring to base mounting.

But I imagine you use loctite for bases to action, right?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adammiddagh View Post
    Agreed. No loctite for ring to base mounting.

But I imagine you use loctite for bases to action, right?
    Nope. Since I clean my rifles after every shoot, don't need to. Only have 1 time a scope came loose. Since torquing after cleaning, no more loose scopes.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Nope. Since I clean my rifles after every shoot, don't need to. Only have 1 time a scope came loose. Since torquing after cleaning, no more loose scopes.
    So you take your scope off every time you clean to get to the base screws and torque them down? You know you can save yourself a lot of time and hassle with a couple dabs of blue loctite right?

Also I hope you are loosening the base screws slightly before torquing them again. Got to watch checking torque as if you just tighten without loosening first then you can cause some stress on the screws over time. Example, my team mate was shooting a sniper match back in the 90s and an Army team there every morning would take their torque wrench and click, click check both their action screws. The last day of the match they went to do it and one of the action screws snapped. Not saying it was only the 3 or 4 times they did it there but who knows how many times they have done it and it finally got them.

Basic Member
    I have sharpie markings on mine. I can visually see if there are changes. I also use torque wrench and make notations of #'s used just incase modification needs to be made (which to date is never) but I only burn through about 50 rounds most per shooting session.

I use a 1 piece NightForce, and use Blue Loctite when installing. I never had one loosen up. On 2 actions I have, I know both are on their 3rd barrel and I have never had any issues with the scope rail loosening up.

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 05-07-2016 at 02:08 AM.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    I've never had to check my scope/base screws. For my 223 I used Weaver GrandSlam rings, for my 308, 7mm rem mag, I used Weaver tactical rings, and for my 260 I used Vortex tactical rings. The scope rings have never caused an issue.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    To tell the truth, I have never had a scope base I installed get loose. My standard for tightening the screws has always been "tighter'n He--", no LocTite. Whenever I buy a rifle with scope and base already mounted, I take the base off and reinstall to my standard -- because I HAVE had even supposedly gunsmith-installed bases come loose.