Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 223 axis project.

Basic Member

I send 77gr Matchkings out to 1000yds in F-class matches with no problem using a 1-9 twist in a model 12. You might want to try some black hills with the 77gr matchking.

Congrats on the youngster. Girls are great until they start dating.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Thanks. Will do and yes, she's a cutie. Gonna need to buy more guns to clean lol

Basic Member
    Here's the mod. Pen spring. No creep, and light enough for target but heavy enough for hunting. Now to maybe rocktite today.

Basic Member
    I like the pen spring mod, but I do it a bit differently. I thread a 1/2" long 10-32 screw in to the spring hole from the bottom, secure it with a dab of blue Loctite, then thread the pen spring on to the protruding top of the screw and trim the pen spring to the same length the the original spring protruded from the hole. This gives a very positive trigger reset, and since the pen spring is lighter-gauge than the original, a light and crisp pull. Being threaded on to the screw assures that the spring doesn't wander off.

Basic Member
    I have a screw. I could try that. I need lock tite now though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjammer91 View Post
    I have a screw. I could try that. I need lock tite now though.
    A dab of fingernail polish will work just as well.

OK, several months behind the 8 ball here on replies...

Good to see you still working on the accuracy GearJammer!

4Patriot, I don't know if primer would help or not with the chipping using the flat rustoleum... I use mine like a tool so it gets roughed around a little. I may tune it up later though if I don't go with a wood stock.

On accuracy for these as I've seen a few people mention in the thread, I had super results using 53gr VMAX, Win Brass with full prep, TAC and WinSR primers. Rounds touching/same hole kind of luck. I hit a node just under max load, and went COAL @ 2.3". I tried the 75gr AMAX, and the rifle does not like these at all, they will not stabilize. 75gr Hornady HPBT Match shoot well also.

Dan

Tula, BrassMax (Fiocchi), and WalMart Perfecta shoot OK for me, Brass isn't good for reloading though. I agree with the factory AE loads being a good plinker with decent accuracy, I never tried the 50gr tipped, but the FMJ 55gr shoot +/- an inch for me.

Have an axis in 223 and it shoots sub MOA with factory Hornady 60gr spire points.

Basic Member
    Agree with Phoenix. I am going down the same road and I am a little farther down the road. I opened the barrel channel on the plastic stock and installed a new trigger spring to lessen the pull. I am getting consistent 1 MOA; but not notably less. New stock is being installed. Lots of promise.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1151 View Post
    After rocktite and barrel channel sanding to ensure freefloat, 1MOA shouldn't be too tough. Mine likes Hornady 55g V-Max over 4895 with a Burris 4.5-14 x 42 Fullfield II getting .6-.8 MOA at 100 yards so far. That's from an old guy with a hammering heart causing the crosshairs to pulsate across the bullseye in time with my pulse, lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123