This is in no way a slam on Mcgowen, I just have some ? I bought a second hand (gunbroker) SS Mcgowen barrel. put the rifle together & took it shooting this weekend. all I had were mostly 55 gr hp's, sp's fmj's, & some green tip 62 gr fmj's. I was not impressed with the results. best 5 shot groups were right around 1-1/2 to 2" at 100 yards. I chalked it up to not having a heavy enough bullet for the twist. I bought some 75 gr amax bullets, & set about checking the max OAL I could use, with my sinclair seating depth gauge. the numbers I come up with up are wacky. I've gone over & over the formula & keep coming up with an OAL of about 2.855" to touch the lands! that puts THAT bullet out of the case! I dropped the bullet down the chamber, followed by a neck sized case. I could push the case into the chamber all the way home, with finger pressure. I guess my question is , is it normal for that twist of bbl to have such a long throat? or is it the bullet I'm using? or what the heck is going on? thanks in advance for any info or tips. If this is in the wrong forum, please move or remove. Mike.
[img width=600 height=450]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/2gr8dgs/IMG_0008.jpg[/img]