Thread: MAJOR Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor Problem: HELP NEEDED

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
    Im not sure if I missed anything, but did you try one of your old cases that you did get to fire? That will at least take out the possibility its a headspace issue such as debris is stuck on the shoulder in the chamber. You may even cut the neck off one of your cases and if it fits but you full case doesn't, then its in the neck part of the chamber, obviously. After you do those two steps, its obviously the bullet. I assume since you said you lost some ogive to base length, then you must have data on your original. Make sure you didn't somehow get bullets mixed up and are using a differen't bullet. I doubt you are, but its surprising the little things we miss because we are so worried about something being much worse.

I mean .1675 of length is substantial. It kind of sounds like you lost your freebore somehow. Im not sure I understand that...Its possible you had some brass flow that got stuck due to overly long case length?? Maybe try running a brass brush down through from the muzzle if you havent already. Just be careful at the crown.

You can also push the brush up through the chamber end, and pull it back out after you get just past the throat area. I dont necessarily advise it, but ive done it in a pinch when I get a stuck case. The brushes fold backwards, so when you try to pull back out without going all the way to the end of the muzzle, it creates a barb that pulls basically anything out that is in there.
    Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

Yes, I took one of the old cases that fed and fired without an issue, and it will chamber smoothly as it should. I actually did this with 5 random cases from the lot of spent casings and they were all good.

And yes, when using the modified case and length gauge, the same modified case, same length gauge, and same individual 140 gr AMAX projectile were used as before when I got the data before this past range session/issue occurred. Also when I measured and got the 0.1675" loss of length, I could not force the bullet past whatever obstruction was causing that marring/contact on the leade area. I applied decent force, but did not overdo it as I know how easily it should glide into making contact with the lands as it did before.

I used a brush and scrubbed it well being careful to not nick or damage anything. I also took a cordless drill on low speed and barely made it rotate with chucking up a small pistol cleaning rod with a 30 cal brush attached with solvent on it to clean out anything right there before the lands start. It apparently cleared something up, but something is still there that was not before and should not be now.
    Last edited by md7989; 04-19-2016 at 11:28 AM.