Thread: First build help 26 Nosler

arcticfern

First build help 26 Nosler

I would like to build (my local gunsmith) a 26 Nosler. So tell me where to start I would like to get this 30-30 back to my neighbor I would thinking about a savage axis and then build from there I appreciate it guys.

This is going to be hunting weapon so I don't want to hear about barrel burn, I got it. So where do I start guys?

Do I get a savage axix 7 MM, Boyds stock, little trigger work, barrel....am I on the right path??

I am a soldier so yes I am on an extreme budget ...

james

schnyd112
    First thing you want to do before building a 26 nosler on a budget is look at how much brass is gonna cost. Shooting that round from an axis, you will spend more money on 200 pcs of brass than you will on the rifle.

As for the build, you are on the right path, your plan is sound, but I would just stay with a 7mag and fiddle with that. Brass is everywhere, lots of good data, as much or more capabilities than the 26 Nosler. Not quite as flat shooting, but you can use a plethora of 7mm bullets.

26 nosler is a totally different beast from a 30-30. i have never shot one, but I know a guy that does. He likes to get cow elk tags and shoot them at 800+ yards. That's a lot of rifle if you are hunting in the timber.

arcticfern
    I am an avid bow hunter. But I got the chance for my son and to go on our first rifle deer hunt together. I ended up using a borrowed 30-30 from my neighbor. Ever since my son and I shoot almost every weekend together so this is phenomenal. I'm looking for something a little different that's why I was thinking 26 and I love the specs. We have a lot of good open spaces here in Missouri and I'm pretty interested in shooting something at 500 yards. I've shot a lot of rounds while in the Army with Remington 308. I have a friend who's interested in doing the reloading for me so the brass one time purchase something I can live with.

We don't shoot that many rounds with our deer rigs, when we do shoot a lot we each have a .22; the range it's more of a father-son thing...

Do you recommend that I start with a 7 MM or should I start with a 338 any recommendations. I'm looking for my platform now just a little impatient that's why figured I could just pick up an axis at Walmart....

Basic Member
    I would diverge from the Axis to a Model 110 variant. A little more expensive, but a lot more aftermarket support opens up. That way if you decide to get some higher grade parts in the future like triggers or stocks and what not. You won't have to start all over.

schnyd112
    The nosler is based of a .404 jefferey case, the same as the ultra mags. It is shortened to 30-06 length but is still a monster case (93 gr/h2O). I know the ultra mags in hunting weight rifles are not fun to shoot. we have one in 7RUM that sits in the safe, unscoped, because we just don't shoot it. My dad bought it because on paper it is awesome. It's a hold on rifle for anything inside 400 yards and hits like a rocket but loosens teeth when we shoot for practice.

I think there are much better options in the 6.5 caliber, especially if you want to shoot enough to be proficient at extended ranges. Even the .264 win mag is coming back into favor. If you want a cannon you may be better with higher caliber bullet.

The 7mm (.540") shares the same bolt face as the 26 nosler, RUM, Dakota, .264 win mag and many more. The .338 (.585"),both lapua and Norma, use a larger bolt face.

Basic Member
    You won't be making anything that big on an AXIS......
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

schnyd112
    If you want something a little different that can be built off a standard axis action you should look at the .280 rem. Same bolt face as a 30-06, you can buy a savage axis in .270 or 30-06 and make an easy change.

As someone who has owned a 26 Nosler I would pass on that idea.

If you are only looking to reach 500 yards there are a lot of cases that will work and most of them don't have magnum in the title, certainly nothing in the super magnum range.

Now if it is you just wanting different then by all means be different, a 284 Winchester is a very nice place to start, as is the 280 AI. Easy on the shooter, good barrel life, plenty of energy to take whatever you are shooting at in Mo. at 500 yards.

P.S. Sharp Shooter knows what he is talking about.
    Last edited by Jamie; 04-15-2016 at 05:08 PM.
    More shooting, less typing.

schnyd112
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    As someone who has owned a 26 Nosler I would pass on that idea.
    You are not the first person I know that has said that. Of the guys I know that spent a ton of money on nosler rifles chambered in 26 nosler, I don't know one who still owns one.

The one I know that still shoots it had his built on a custom action with a 30" barrel. He hunts, but not spot and stalk hunting. He carries all his stuff to one little knoll overlooking scattered timber and a few clearings. He has flags in several places and likes to shoot cow elk as far as he can see them. He has taken one at 800+ the last two years. Not a really my type of hunting, I have had a hard time staying awake the couple times I went out with him. He just waits for the elk to come through and nothing came anywhere close when I was there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    You are not the first person I know that has said that. Of the guys I know that spent a ton of money on nosler rifles chambered in 26 nosler, I don't know one who still owns one.

The one I know that still shoots it had his built on a custom action with a 30" barrel. He hunts, but not spot and stalk hunting. He carries all his stuff to one little knoll overlooking scattered timber and a few clearings. He has flags in several places and likes to shoot cow elk as far as he can see them. He has taken one at 800+ the last two years. Not a really my type of hunting, I have had a hard time staying awake the couple times I went out with him. He just waits for the elk to come through and nothing came anywhere close when I was there.
    Some guys sit on stumps or in a tree on the edge of swamps where they might see 50 yards. Which one could argue amounts to about the same thing as for the hunting part. But your buddy benefits from a cartridge like the 26 nosler as opposed to the stump sitter, which is why he chose it.
    I think its a thing called different strokes. lol
    When good advise from knowledgable people is given, only a fool wouldn't listen. Build it on the proper action, or build a 7/08.

The Axis doesnt come with a magnum bolt face. It can be done...ie...DrThunder did a mod to make his axis (Maxis) a 300wm. Would be easier on a 110 type action. Im all about doing different cartridges, so if that's what you want, go for it. You'll hear yeas and nays from everyone. Me personally, I would rather have a standard bolt face cartridge for that type of work. You could be different with those toon 280AI (I love mine), 280, 6.5-06, 6.5-06AI.....just to name a couple. Let us know what you decide.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    It's not just a question of the guy building what he wants Scooter, it's a question of him building it on an action that might possibly hurt somebody.
    All too often we don't hear about the mistakes people make, only the successful things.

Basic Member
    Yobuck brings good advice on this. I personally wouldn't build anything bigger than a RUM on a Savage actions. And although a 300WM has been built on an Axis, I still wouldn't go that route. I'd probably start this build on a Stiller TAC300 actions or preferably the TAC 338 action. At the same times the OP could get everything he wants out of a more standard chamberings like the 7RM or a 6.5 SAUM if he wants to stays in the .264 caliber arena.

Ask yourself this question - Why hasn't Savage chambered a Magnum round in the Axis?

And then ask yourself if you really want your booger slinger 4 inches away from it when your booger finger pulls the trigger.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I should have clarified a couple things....I wasnt trying to recommend using an Axis, thats why I said the 110 would be easier.
    And on the yeas and neys, I was referring to cartridge choice. Everyone will have a cartridge choice they prefer or dont prefer.
    My mistake for not being clear....😡 lol
    Scooter

My comments were for those that thought it might be a good idea to try the Nosler in an Axis platform.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

LW...are you saying you would do RUM on a savage and not the 26 nos?. Just curious, because IIRC chamber pressures are the same. If I misunderstood you my apologies. I dont wanna highjack the thread so if you want you can PM me.
    Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    My comments were for those that thought it might be a good idea to try the Nosler in an Axis platform.
    Gotcha 👍
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    LW...are you saying you would do RUM on a savage and not the 26 nos?. Just curious, because IIRC chamber pressures are the same. If I misunderstood you my apologies. I dont wanna highjack the thread so if you want you can PM me.
    Scooter
    The RUM is pretty much the same thing it's the difference of a 30* shoulder compared to the 35* shoulder. The Nosler case might see a whopping 50-100FPS difference.

At 500yds as the OP is talking, you could shoot a plain Jane 260 or 260AI. For something fancy a 6.5x284 or 6.5-06/AI.

It would save a lot of money and let him shoot it a lot more often.

***note: I thought the 416 Rigby was a larger case.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    The RUM is pretty much the same thing it's the difference of a 30* shoulder compared to the 35* shoulder. The Nosler case might see a whopping 50-100FPS difference.

At 500yds as the OP is talking, you could shoot a plain Jane 260 or 260AI. For something fancy a 6.5x284 or 6.5-06/AI.

It would save a lot of money and let him shoot it a lot more often.

***note: I thought the 416 Rigby was a larger case.
    Ok, gotcha....you had me 2nd guessing myself becuase I thought they were really similar just that the Nosler was shorter to fit a standard length action...
    We are all clear now 😉
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Understand this and you might get the idea of where I'm coming from.
    When I was about 13 years old my dad bought a sporterized 30/06
    built on an Enfield eddystone action in a pawn shop.
    Never had the gun checked out, just took it out with some factory ammo and shot it.
    I was standing about 10' to one side and behind where he was shooting.
    On the third shot there was a puff of smoke from the gun and my father
    with blood streaming down his face. He needed immediate hospital care
    which was over an hour away. He was very fortunate in that he only lost
    part of the vision in his right eye due to schrapnel. He was laid up for several weeks as a result
    of his injury and very lucky at that. The stock was blown apart, the extractor and scope mount blown off
    to who knows where, etc etc. The cause was determined to be excessive headspace.
    That was the first time I had ever heard the term used and no doubt my father also.
    Guns having proper headspace, can develop improper headspace as a result of just shooting the gun.
    Lug setback especially with the larger cartridges is a possibility and especially with weak actions to begin with.
    Weatherby's strong mark five action has 9 locking lugs. The one I use has been lapped to assure all the lugs are
    functioning properly. Responsible gunsmiths know the importance of things like that. They would also say no when
    you bring them a poor action to begin with. And one of them already did with regard to this post.

smbob
    I have a friend who has a Christensen 26 Nosler. I shot it over the weekend. I have to say it was very impressive. He was shooting 140gr rounds with it. The recoil was about like my 270 with 90gr Hp's I have to say though if you are on a budget I would definitely pick another round. The 26 Nosler is bocuop expensive to shoot!!! Factory ammo is astronomically expensive!!! Even if you reload. Brass costs a fortune for it and it takes a ton of powder for each round. If you insist on a magnum round 7mm or 300 Win Mag would be better. Honestly though my 270 Win or a 30-06 will do just about anything most people would want to do. Just my .02 Whatever you decide I hope it all works out for you.

Robert
    Last edited by smbob; 04-19-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=smbob;363428]I have a friend who has a Christensen 26 Nosler. I shot it over the weekend. I have to say it was very impressive. He was shooting 140gr rounds with it. The recoil was about like my 270 with 90gr Hp's I have to say though if you are on a budget I would definitely pick another round. The 26 Nosler is bocuop expensive to shoot!!! Factory ammo is astronomically expensive!!! Even if you reload. Brass costs a fortune for it and it takes a ton of powder for each round. If you insist on a magnum round 7mm or 300 Win Mag would be better. Honestly though my 270 Win or a 30-06 will do just about anything most people would want to do. Just my .02 Whatever you decide I hope it all works out for you.

Well I wouldn't advise him to pick another round if that's what he wants to build.
    Just to pick the right parts to build it with

arcticfern
    A quick update, thanks for all the help. Here is where I landed. I got a chance to shot a buddy of mines 6.5 creedmoor. Well, I now own a savage 6.5 CM with a Timney trigger, and a Boyds stock....plus a Lee reloader and I a few components. I think I made a great decision for me every weekend I get to the range!! Thanks again guys.