Of course don't order just on my word, but I believe you can use a "std" left eject Savage bolt head like the one sold by Pacific Tool and Gauge for seventy bucks. In addition to the barrel, you'll need a barrel nut wrench, a barrel vise, a go gauge, and a torque wrench; that's about it.

I made a cheap barrel vise with a 36" stick of 2"x2" hard oak from Lowes, a 1/4" x 1.5" piece of steel strap, and some big 5/8" bolts, nuts, and washers. Chop off 8 or 10 inches of the oak, but leave the other piece long. The vise should be on one end of the remaining long piece, not in the center. Reinforce the top and bottom with pieces of the steel strap, drill for the bolts and then drill a hole for the barrel. Use a corrugated cardboard spacer between the upper and lower pieces of wood when you drill the barrel hole so that the two pieces have a cutout on each half which is less than a full semi-circle. You need some clearance to properly clamp the barrel. Expect to use a LOT of clamping force to remove a factory Savage barrel; less torque to put on the new one. Lubricate the bolts, nuts, and flat washers with grease.

The long leg of the vise makes it easy to clamp to a stout table or other surface and will help you handle the considerable torque required. In other words, if you orient the long leg of the vise correctly, you need not bolt it down to the table, an ordinary clamp will do.

Buy only the "go" gauge. Fit up the barrel/action combination using the go gauge and then put a piece of clear packaging tape on the back of the gauge and try to close the bolt on your DIY "no go" gauge. Trim the edges of the tape with a razor blade first. You should feel definite resistance when you try to close the bolt, but you can force the bolt closed if you try hard enough. Double check to be sure your bolt will easily close on the go gauge, but won't close on the same gauge with the tape shim. Of course, do all this with the extractor and ejector removed.

Then buy fifteen types of powder, four different kinds of primer, twelve different boxes of various bullets and go to the range for some load development. Don't worry, you'll find the perfect recipe just about the time you wear out your new barrel.