Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
I agree with Rick and Yobuck .

Just to add to what Rick said about the 45LC... Just for what it's worth, I think the 45LC is better than the other pistol calibers, but not better than the 30/30. The 30/30 has much more speed and kinetic energy. However, at close range (inside 50 yards), the 45LC has the advantage of making a bigger hole.

If I had to choose a traditional pistol cartridge (assuming 450BM, for example, is not an option), I would go with the .44 Mag.

If I wanted a fun to carry and fun to shoot "cowboy gun", they will all work within 75 yards or so. and are great for plinking. Not good for medium to larger size deer (over 100 pounds).
Again, just as Yobuck said about the 30/30's popularity in the 20's-40's... just because they worked and were popular does not mean they are a good choice given all the other options available today.

Finally, if I were a "Violator", I would opt for sub-sonic .22LR inside 75 yards and a good light. Put the bullet right behind the ear and any size deer will drop like a rock. Doesn't make it right.
This day and age we might get involved in the proper definition and meaning of the word (right).
Ive known some violators who didn't worry about using a light and a 22 rimfire.
They simply made sure their family members all did the (right) thing and had hunting licences
and doe tags. One was somewhat famous in the area as he was a fairly well
known outdoor writer. And of all things a member of the 5 member board of
the PA game commission, appointed by the governor for upstanding character and wisdom.
Untill recently I had letters from him written on official game commission stationary in which
he flat out called me a slob hunter in those words for the method I preferred to hunt.
But apparently so long as you hunted by his sanctioned methods, you could shoot as many as you liked.
Provided they were properly tagged of coarse.