Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: H4350 substitute for 6.5 creedmoor

Basic Member

I am sure that darkker will respond to your question with the proper answer. But what I gather from the "invaluable" information he is providing us, the only "reliable" way we can know if we are " over pressure" is with Trace Equipment, or for us more normal types, the Chronograph. When we see that our velocity is exceeding max book numbers, we are exceeding max book pressures. Without a Chronograph, the only way to reliably know we are there, is to stop short of max published loads. With the information I have gained from darkker I no longer look for a node that is at the "hot side". If for no other reason, my brass will last a lot longer.

As far as safety is concerned, I am convinced my Savage actions can handle a lot more than Max Book Pressure. It's just nice to have a reliable way to know when I am there.

It's going to be no small task to get the reloading public to stop relying on the "hocus pocus" of "brass reading" to tell us when we are nearing pressure trouble ! Hope this helps...Jim :-)

Basic Member
    I spent the money for my 1st chronograph. Labradar. Always use it working up loads. Hornady book will show max fps on loads but then go shoot superformance ammo and this stuff exceeds anything in the book. I know, its Hornady's special powder not for sale. I will chono these rounds and try to get close, which is near impossible, but I don't exceed it. Will research the trace equipment just see understand a bit more. Popnfresh on ar15.com post some of that info also. Been debating on spending the money on quickload. Anything better?
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

LongRange
    QL is a great tool BUT you still need to shoot over a chrony when using QL and adjust the Ba(burn rate)to match your actual velocities...also adjust the temp in QL to match your actual shooting conditions. another thing is to make sure ALL of the data you put into QL is dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    When we see that our velocity is exceeding max book numbers, we are exceeding max book pressures. Without a Chronograph, the only way to reliably know we are there, is to stop short of max published loads.
    For the most part, I agree with this statement. Unfortunately, lawyers have made these "maximum published loads" anything but maximum. In the last couple of years, I've found most of the published maximum loads have dropped anywhere from 1% to 5%. This is based on values I acquired from the manufacturers a couple of years ago. Comparing my data to current published data, the lawyers are winning the velocity game. It would be nice to be able to just go out and buy pressure trace equipment, but at this time I just can't justify it.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123