Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: H4350 substitute for 6.5 creedmoor

Basic Member

Now to primers. What do you think of cci br2 benchrest rifle primers? Will there be a difference between those and their large rifle primers?

Basic Member
    Don't use either so can't comment but in the Federal 210M vs 210 I can tell you there is no performance difference in any of the cartridges i have tested them in.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    Don't use either so can't comment but in the Federal 210M vs 210 I can tell you there is no performance difference in any of the cartridges i have tested them in.
    So it's most likely not going to be worth the extra 4 cents a primer? That sounds silly and neglegable, but is it?

Basic Member
    In the Federals it isn't but don't know about the CCI. Buy one of each and try them out. Load the exact same loads and shoot them over the chrono and for accuracy. That's how I tested the Feds.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Now to primers. What do you think of cci br2 benchrest rifle primers? Will there be a difference between those and their large rifle primers?
    Not enough to warrant the price...I shoot all of the primers mentioned and several others...the CCI200s are great primers and are my go to when starting load development. Once I find a load I will load the same charge and try different primers to see if things tighten up.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Not enough to warrant the price...I shoot all of the primers mentioned and several others...the CCI200s are great primers and are my go to when starting load development. Once I find a load I will load the same charge and try different primers to see if things tighten up.
    Thanks. The 200s are found locally too

Basic Member
    Shooting the 140grn bullets the H4350 burn rate is where you want to look go get really good velocity and accuracy. IMR4350, IMR4451, RL17, etc. Some use 4831 but I think it's a little too slow to get good velocity. You can get good accuracy from other powders both slower and faster but you usually lose some velocity. The round was developed around H4350 so it is a good place to be.

What rifle you get? Also check out the 6.5 Creedmoor forum at http://www.65creedmoor.com/ Lots of good info.
    Thanks for the link. Forgot about them. Savage finally released a 10T in 6.5 creedmoor at cabelas.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Really? What was your powder weight?
    For the 178 gr hornady match, 43.7 gr of varget using lapua brass. For the 178 gr hornady ELD, 43.9 gr of varget using lapua brass.

Basic Member
    I use Varget with my 308 178s also. Been using it for years and it's my go to .308 powder. Depending on brass used I use between 44-45grns. Most find their higher node in the 43-45grn area. Hodgdon lists 42 as min and 45 as max with the 175/178 and Varget.
    Do you have chrono data with your 44-45 gr of powder? I thought I was pushing the higher limits with 43.9. Barrel bounces enough to lose scope site on each shot. Didn't see any pressure signs getting to 44 grains but my best groups were with 43.9 with 44.0 a close second. My ballistics app tells me it goes subsonic a little over 1000 yards.

Basic Member
    Using Hornady brass and 44grns I am getting 2730fps from a 22" barrel and 2690fps from a 20" barrel. With Winchester brass and the 45grns the numbers were similar.

Make sure you have a good solid shooting position behind the rifle to control the hop as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Hodgdon web site shows allot of different powders to use but superformance is not one of them. Varget, xbr8208, 4166 just to name a few are on there. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
    Hodgdon also lists much of their data in CUP, when it has been known for several decades that CUP isn't accurate when used over about 45,000psi.

Pick-up your Hornady manual, and you'll find plenty of data for Superformance in the Creedmoor. Or you can look at any of the Pressure Traces I've posted with it in the Creed.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

Well I bought rounds, powder and primers. They only had the rem's I plan on using cci but this is all I could find.

The factory ammo is also just to get me to the range and to give me brass to reload.

Next pay check is going towards a hand primer and another box of ammo

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Hodgdon also lists much of their data in CUP, when it has been known for several decades that CUP isn't accurate when used over about 45,000psi.

Pick-up your Hornady manual, and you'll find plenty of data for Superformance in the Creedmoor. Or you can look at any of the Pressure Traces I've posted with it in the Creed.
    Superformance looks to be ok but reloader-17 looks the best. Never used that before so will start looking for it. I looked at possibly reloading for 243 using superformance but only up to 80 gr bullets. Have a boat load of 243 ammo so don't need to reload for that any time soon. Did order some Hornady 140 gr ELD match since I can't find any around town. Got a free hand gun case for the order. Grafs has it in stock if you need some ammo.

Basic Member
    Just picked up some reloader-17 when I was in town. H4350 seems to be like varget, hard to get. I use varget for my 308 bolt. For those of you who have tried varget, did you have to push the limits to get good performace or just not that good of powder to use? Same with superformace, you folks pushing the limits?

Superformance looks to be ok but reloader-17 looks the best. Never used that before so will start looking for it.
    To each his own, by all means, but Superformance is much more flexible if you need velocity and not pressure.
    If you want to try Superformance, it is DIRT cheap from Bruno.

Basic Member
    To each his own, by all means, but Superformance is much more flexible if you need velocity and not pressure.
    I have 2 lbs I got cheap awhile back. Never used it yet. Flexible? How hot can you push this powder? I know Hornady is cautious when listing loads in the book compared to other books or Hodgdon web site. Is it a clean burning powder? When I start load developement, will start in the middle as usual and work up to see how far I can go.

indeed. I sometimes wish I lived in Phoenix AZ. I frequently go the Ph Az for visits to family members. Walking into that store is deadly. I walk out with massive amounts of components but my wallets been bled dry.
    Has to be done though. I save (at times) upwards of 20% when I shop there as opposed to buying local in southwest Texas.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    simple answer...there is no substitute for H4350 LOL...try the RL-17 and super performance and go with what shoots best.

Basic Member
    What other rifles use H4350 that its hard to find due to folks hoarding it? Its as bad as varget for the hoarders (i'm one of them).RL-17 and Superformance is all over the place. How about IMR 4451? This is one of the newer powders Hodgdon developed along with 4166, which worked ok in my 308 but nothing spectacular.
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 04-10-2016 at 06:00 PM.

LongRange
    most 6 and 6.5mms as well as several others...what i find funny is you guys on the east side have none and its everywhere out west...at least where im at.

another big strain on 4350 is most of the PRS and comp shooters use it.

1) Flexible?
    2) How hot can you push this powder?
    3) I know Hornady is cautious when listing loads in the book compared to other books or Hodgdon web site.
    4) Is it a clean burning powder?
    5) When I start load developement, will start in the middle as usual and work up to see how far I can go.
    Crikey!! Lets get you some real info to keep you informed properly here.

1) I find it insanely flexable, as I said. It is an incredibly progressive burning propellant, so flexible is kind of what it does. Last year... maybe that was 2 now... anyhow went to Phoenix and did a bunch of Pressure Trace testing with MZ5. As far as temp stability, it was every bit as stable as H4350, and actually was a little more mild temperamented in the Creed. Remember when someone begins to parrot the "It's an extreme powder" business, an Extruded powder can ONLY be made such under specific conditions. NOT a universal property. Dr. Bramwell has tested this many times.
    2) .... As over pressure as you want??? As you know, Very highly calibrated copper crushers used in very carefully controlled test systems with tightly regulated reference loads will "report" pressure swings on the order of 15-20,000 psi; when tested above about 45,000 psi. A random bloke who bought a reloading kit, using off the shelf powder, in a production rifle, using an unknown alloy of brass; ain't magically more accurate at "reading" pressure by staring at the primers. Velocity is what tells you where you are in terms of pressure. Or you can buy a Strain system such as the Pressure Trace II system and see for yourself.
    3) No, they really aren't; and Hodgy doesn't do much of their own testing, it's farmed out or calculated. ALL of the ball powders that Hodgy re-sells, come from General Dynamics. Hornady's head ballistician, Dave Emary was a powder creator for GD. He knows what the powders can do and what they are. It's no surprise they have data that Hodgy doesn't know about, or that they began to use piles of GD's powders with high speed, low pressure factory ammo.
    4) I don't know what exactly you want here, so lets discuss fouling and you decide. Any of the powders from GD that have always had copper cleaning tin compounds (748, 760, et al) tend to produce very heavy sooty fouling. easy to clean however. Then you have the coated extruded fouling, such as Varget. That fouling "looks" clean, while in fact begin to accumulate Hard Carbon fouling, extremely quickly in small bores. Supr is more like a traditional extruded powder to me. But I also don't clean bores, until accuracy degrades, so take that for what you will.
    5) Don't do that. Several reasons, and it ties to the notion of some books being "conservative". No one since the very old A-Squared manual, lists lot numbers of components being tested. Hodgdon has only ever been a surplus blender/reseller, and refuses to list any form of nominal variations of the things they sell. They will only list the caution to "Drop loads 10% when switching lots", there is a very very good reason for that. One of them being moisture. There is a very good article in the newest Norma manual about how radically moisture change(even from a sealed container) can affect burning rates.
    As I said, Supr is very progressive. So what that means is that the burning curve will change dramatically with pressure. A traditional or non-progressive powder will have the same burning curve across it's happy pressure range; only the peak or total pressure is different. Not so with Superformance.

To give you a visual, look at the following pressure traces. These are NOT an indication of consistency of the powder. These are for looking at curves and velocities. There was ZERO load work done! This is so you can see the premise only.

4350: within it's happy pressure range, this gets taller or shorter, but doesn't change shape.

Superformance at "low pressure" notice the curve and the velocities

Superformance at "high pressure". Again notice the shifted curve, and how little the velocity changes

Another point of not pretending that you can "Read" pressure signs. Which case do you think was the high pressure load??

If you said the one on the left is "high pressure", you would be incorrect. Left is from Trace #4. The one on the right is from Trace #2.

Basic Member
    Appreciate the detailed information. And I did pick the brass on the left as over pressure due to a flatter primer. Everything I have learned on reloading to look for pressure signs is flattened primers and case swipes on the brass. Not the case with the pic you just showed. Please elaborate more. If I am reading your charts right, It seems H4350 to be more consistent. Wrong?

Basic Member
    You know Dark, it's funny that those 2 pieces of brass you have there show something I have seen in my 243. Hornady and Winchester brass run the loads I've worked up to without issue, but the RP brass prepped and loaded with the exact same charge, bullet, and primer combo showed heavy bolt lift. I shot a few more in the Hornady brass after the first one with no signs or issues, then another piece of RP brass and the same thing occured. I've sworn off of RP brass for use in the 243 now and only run Hornady or Winchester. Lapua is still to expensive when I tend to lose brass now and again at some of the matches I shoot.

Appreciate the detailed information. And I did pick the brass on the left as over pressure due to a flatter primer. Everything I have learned on reloading to look for pressure signs is flattened primers and case swipes on the brass. Not the case with the pic you just showed. Please elaborate more. If I am reading your charts right, It seems H4350 to be more consistent. Wrong?
    The last company to actually list alloys and hardness specs was Olin in the 1950's, when they were still producing 30-06 brass. They used Olin alloy C260, with a hardness spec of 80,000-ish psi tensile strength. They gained a reputation for having "stronger brass than the others". Where currently have I heard that...... Anyway what that meant was about the time you would see case stretch, or swipes you were approaching it's tensile strength, or the range of 80,000 psi. Not good when shooting a 60,000 psi case next to your face. With cases and primers that won't list spec's, "signs" are better than nothing, but absolutely no better than that. Starting at the start range, and chrono-ing up will let you know when you reach max pressure. Most book data is in SAAMI min spec test equipment, not a looser tolleranced mass produced rifle. The Creedmoor is only about a 2700 fps cartridge(with 140's) if you are going faster, you are over-pressure. So far in the Creed and a 308, it would appear that MOST brass in currently produced rifles; will "show signs" once you get to the 75,000 psi range. Always exceptions of course, but as a general rule of thumb it has been quite close.

No 4350 isn't more consistent, or at least not on face value. Like I said, the traces posted were randomly selected out of the series to show pressures/velocities. The 4350 trace happens to be on an accuracy node, where the Superformance traces are not on a node. If you were to do proper load work-up, you will find a few nodes. The funny thing about nodes: When you have a "stable" powder, be it extreme or otherwise, when the temps and loads are compensating, you will see some very interesting traces, regardless of the results on paper. As Rocky Raab used to say, a Pressure Trace will debunk many things that you thought you knew, unfortunately, it can leave more questions to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    You know Dark, it's funny that those 2 pieces of brass you have there show something I have seen in my 243. Hornady and Winchester brass run the loads I've worked up to without issue, but the RP brass prepped and loaded with the exact same charge, bullet, and primer combo showed heavy bolt lift. I shot a few more in the Hornady brass after the first one with no signs or issues, then another piece of RP brass and the same thing occured. I've sworn off of RP brass for use in the 243 now and only run Hornady or Winchester. Lapua is still to expensive when I tend to lose brass now and again at some of the matches I shoot.
    Remington sure can be a bit hit-and-miss. The only thing I flat refuse to load is stupid Federal. They have VERY soft cases! Nice in that it seals the chamber very quickly, unfortunately the heads are also typically soft. I've blown apart several cases/extractors from that very thing. We had one blow apart at the 50,000 mark. Not exactly an over-load in the 308

Basic Member
    Darkker, besides looking at the case after fireing and looking for case swipes and flattened primers, what do you recommend to add to help us young reloaders. I know I am a little close using 43.9 gr of varget and hornady 178 ELD bullets, but after you showing that pic, Am a little nervous now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast