Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which 6.5 Long Action

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Hey, I like the new logo picture. No 442 in that I'm guessing. But again I'm off topic lol.
    Thanks. It's my new toy. Sorta has a 442......4 liter, 4 big tires, 2 gas stations it can drive past before refueling. Lol
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Thanks. It's my new toy. Sorta has a 442......4 liter, 4 big tires, 2 gas stations it can drive past before refueling. Lol
    Gas you burn in toys, is like the powder we use, you wanna play your gonna pay.
    Is it locked up?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Gas you burn in toys, is like the powder we use, you wanna play your gonna pay.
    Is it locked up?
    Rubicon Dana 44 running gear, alloy axle shafts, air lockers on both ends and rear limited slip - 4.88's and a Teraflex 4:1 t-case kit. Disc brakes f&r.
    It has over 30k in receipts, paid just under a third of that. Since they don't use salt here, it's rust free.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Thread officially derailed

By a mod no less!
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    Thread officially derailed

By a mod no less!
    not just a mod a SUPERMOD lol.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Rubicon Dana 44 running gear, alloy axle shafts, air lockers on both ends and rear limited slip - 4.88's and a Teraflex 4:1 t-case kit. Disc brakes f&r.
    It has over 30k in receipts, paid just under a third of that. Since they don't use salt here, it's rust free.
    I guess that answered my question lol.
    I have an 06 Rubicon unlimited with a Warn winch and a full roof rack.
    Otherwise its just how it left the factory 60.000 miles ago.
    It leads a lonely life sitting in the camp garage about 6 months a year.
    It aint 4wd if it aint locked up.

Team Savage
    bw34,
    Given your mention of the 6.5-06 Ackley, I will take this to mean you are not afraid of a wildcat. I hunted for a while with a 26" barreled 6.5 Gibbs as my go to beanfield rifle. I ran a #5 contour 1-10" twist Pac Nor barrel because I had no desire to shoot anything heavier than a 120 grain bullet. This was before long range shooting became as popular as it is now. It shot wicked flat with 120 Nosler BTs and 125 Partitions. It was accurate, but case forming became a chore (fireforming isn't really an option with Gibbs cases) and I was only able to get 3 to 4 reloads out of my brass before the short neck split. I sold the rifle and built up a 6.5-06. Loved it. Did everything a 270 would do with slightly less recoil. Again, unlike many who post here, I went with a slow twist 1-10" twist barrel because I had no desire to shoot anything over a 120 grain bullet. Then I moved on to the 6.5-06AI with a 24" barrel. Was everything the 6.6-06 was, just a little more. This one I built with a 1-9" twist to accommodate up to 130 grain bullets. Again, I loved it. I sold both after I was laid off. I had a brief flirtation with the 6.5-284 Norma. I built it with a 1-8" twist 26" barrel. Like Hotholds442 mentioned, I found it kind of finicky and never could find a load that provided me the accuracy I wanted so I sold it. Your experience and that of others may be very different. I flirted with the 6.5-280 AI for a little while as well. I liked the round, but eventually tired of the brass prep. I'm currently building a 6.5x65 RWS. The RWS round is not a wildcat, but brass is only made by RWS, is pricey, and can be a little difficult to obtain. However, its a hunting rifle, so 100 pieces of brass will last quite a while. Another round to consider, is the 6.5x55 AI. I like the original 6.5x55, but I hate trimming brass. The AI version slows down brass flow in my experience to the point that case trimming becomes minimal. Whether going AI is worth it or not, is a personal decision. One other oldie to consider is the 256 Newton. It has a case capacity between the 6.5x55 and the 6.5-06. Brass is made by only one company and again, it can be pricey and somewhat difficult to obtain.

At the end of the day, the question is how much time, energy, and funds do you want to devote to this project. As I get older, I find I like shooting more and doing excessive case prep less. To that end, I'm saving my pennies to have a reamer made for a 6.5-06 based on the 270 case. That way I can neck down virgin 270 cases, outside neck turn a little, load and shoot. Lots of sources for good 270 brass and it rarely goes out of stock and isn't too costly.

Just my 2 cents and I hope you find it of some value. Whatever you choose, I hope it works out well and keep us posted. I'm always interested in the builds of others and why they went the way they did.

bw34
    Wildcat,

That was some great info. I've never heard of the 256 Newton. Sounds interesting along with the others you mentioned. I like to have something different and that's one of the things I want to do with this build. I'm not afraid of a wildcat and prefer it for this gun. I have a .270 win which I love but I want to try fire forming. Maybe I'll like it. Maybe I won't but I think I will.

I decided on the 6.5 Sherman. Very similar to the 6.5-06ai but with a little more case capacity. It really seems to be just what I was looking for:). It will take a little more time and money to get setup for but I think I would always regret not trying it. This isn't really a budget build but funds aren't unlimited either. I just want to build it the way I want for a reasonable price. I'll have a lot of satisfaction in that. The journey is half the fun.

LongRange
    bw if you go with the sherman start a thread im interested to hear more...ive read some about it here and there...FAST from what ive read.

bw34
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    bw if you go with the sherman start a thread im interested to hear more...ive read some about it here and there...FAST from what ive read.
    I will.

Team Savage
    bw34,
    As LongRange said, please keep us posted on the 6.5 Sherman build. I too have heard a little about it and I'm interested to hear more. I may have another build on the horizon. **** you bw34!

bw34
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    bw34,
    As LongRange said, please keep us posted on the 6.5 Sherman build. I too have heard a little about it and I'm interested to hear more. I may have another build on the horizon. **** you bw34!
    Barrel is ordered

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123