Quote Originally Posted by bw34 View Post
I'm going to look harder at the 7mm before I make a decision. Any thoughts on the 7 stw?

Will the .260ai work in the factory la magazine?
The 7mm stw (shooting times westerner) started life as a wildcat cartridge. It is the 8 mm mag case necked down to 7mm.
Balisticly speaking it has about identicle performance as the 300 Weatherby case necked down to 7mm and known as the
7x300 Weatherby. I have been using the 7x300 Wby for about 45 years for long range hunting. I have a 9 twist barrel
which will stabilize the 180 gr bullets. Ive not tried the newer heavier ones but I doubt the twist in my gun would work well.
Weve killed more deer over many years with the 7x300 than all others we have combined. Meaning, most of the deer weve shot
have been less than 1000 yds. I find the 162 gr Hornady bullets still to be the best choice for me. With those I have seen velocities close to 3500 fps on cooler days. I don't recommend using loads that hot however. For hunting my load is about 3350 fps with the 162 gr hornady.
That is about 350fps faster than you will see from a 7 rem mag with the same bullet. The barrel one one of my 2 7x300s was originaly a 7 rem mag on a 40x rem rifle.
I had killed a deer at about 850 yds with a good hit, but the following year the gun was a 7x300 wby.
There is no substitute for mass coupled with velocity for long range hunting, and the longer the distance the more that applies.
The 7mm ultramag has a slight velocity advantage over both the others mentioned. Another very good large 7mm is the 284 Baer.
It uses the 340 weatherby case necked to 7mm. And there is also the newer 260 Nosler.