Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
Yea especially that part. What I have in mind is basically a centerfire 22 WMR. Thus reloadable, and cheaper to shoot than buy, after a while anyway. Looking around it seems the 5.7x28 brass would provide the proper case capacity, and velocities, but necked down to .224. May not ever see the light of day, since it would not be a cheap conversion. Since pressures would match the WMR, I was even thinking a model 93 might be able to be converted. I think the only mod MIGHT be to convert the bolt from rimfire to centerfire, and maybe opened up enough to handle the .310 case of the 5.7. I think the 1-16 rifling might even be better considering the velocities.

Iw would most likely be a more accurate version, with a huge selection of bullets available in .224. Have not pulled my 93 out to look the bolt over for that idea, so not sure if feasible or not. Just some ramblings in my head. One could even neck it down to .177 I suppose, if they desired. The WMR speeds are more than sufficient for my needs, so the WSM would be out of the question too.

If the 93 would work, it would involve a re-chamber (special reamer), special dies, and bolt mods. Reloading would be starting from scratch, and would need brass and neck thickness trimmer. I think the mags might possibly work without mods, or much anyway. I just really hate the ammo shortage crap and non reloadability of the rimfires. At least anything bigger than a LR.
22 WMR 50 gr @ 1750 fps, 30 gr @ 2250 fps. This is easily done in a 223 Rem, cheap and easy, brass easy to find. Works for me.
joe .