Thread: Name This Rifle

rkoeneke

Name This Rifle

Okay, so I just picked this thing up for $450, its in the mail on its way here. Not a bad price in my mind, especially with the left eye dominace affliction I suffer from. But I am not sure quite what I have coming here. I am assuming the stock is after market, and the barrel maybe too. The guy i got it from took it in as a trade and doesn't have much info on it. So I am curious, what do you guys think I have coming here, and did I make the right call picking this rifle up?

If you can't tell from the photo the barrel nut is splined.

Reed
    Last edited by rkoeneke; 03-25-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Name This Rifle

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    When you get it run the serial number through savages part finder on their website and it will tell you what model it started out as.

Thumper76
    It looks like the model 11 my father in law has.

Basic Member
    Not sure of the model, but either way you'll have made out just fine! Worst case scenario, the action will sell for $350+, the stock will bring another $75+ depending on what type it is, and the barrel/left over pieces will bring another $75 at the very least allowing you to break even. Otherwise, keep it, shoot it, enjoy it.

Nice pickup!
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Looks just like my buddies model 11 in 243. Appears to have a sloted barrel nut.

Looks like a left handed version of a model run they did for Cabela's a couple years ago.
    More shooting, less typing.

rkoeneke
    Thanks for all the input guys! I will certainly see what the serial number brings up. Just hoping this thing shoots the lights out when it gets here, fingers crossed.

I'll take a WAG
    Looks like an 11GL to me in an aftermarket laminate stock. Hard to tell from the pic but with those bases may have been a 11GLXP package rifle. Probably an aftermarket Boyds stock. When you run the numbers let me know how I did .
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Here is a link to a right handed 308 Win model, I purchased one in 25-06 when they came out. Most likely a Cabela's Exclusive or someone dropped it in an aftermarket Boyd's stock like BHJ stated.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/435316...sive-w--scope-
    More shooting, less typing.

I have a Cabelas special in 30/06, now 6.5x284. It looks identical except for the action length. You'll know what you've got when you run the serial number through the parts finder, or if you find the Boyd's emblem on the butt pad.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

rkoeneke
    Butt pad is logo less, and there is a Savage logo on the palm swell. The serial number put into the parts finder brings up this model...
    Mod 11BgL 223 REM (AT)

Thanks for your input guys. I have a scope slapped on her, I am headed out the door to go and give it a little test run.

Basic Member
    Try some American Eagle tipped varmint, 50g. Cheap and the current batch seems to be very accurate and consistent. If you reload, the brass is also remarkably good. I neck size only and have over a dozen re-loads on one batch and still going strong despite never being annealed.

Quote Originally Posted by rkoeneke View Post
    Butt pad is logo less, and there is a Savage logo on the palm swell. The serial number put into the parts finder brings up this model...
    Mod 11BgL 223 REM (AT)

Thanks for your input guys. I have a scope slapped on her, I am headed out the door to go and give it a little test run.
    Model 11, Laminate(B) Hardwood(g) - Left hand(L) w/AccuTrigger(AT)
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways