Hi guys. I am tossing around the idea of a new barrel for my .223. The factory barrel is a decent shooter but i feel like it could be better. I currently do most of my shooting at 500 meters max. There is a range about 2 hours from me that will go out to just over 1000 yards that i plan on joining in the near future. I am not looking for a solid 1000 yd performer because I have a 6.5x284 for that. But i am thinking if i get a new barrel that maybe there is a better round than the 223 that will get me out a little further but not break the bank to reload.

Currently i shoot 50 to 100 rounds a week through this rifle so a new round would have to have a good barrel life, preferably less than 30 grains of powder and be easy to get components. I do reload so factory ammo is not necessary.

This rifle also sits in an xlr element chassis that uses aics mags so the ability to mag feed is a must. My first thought was a 6br but the mag feeding may be an issue. I also wonder about a 6.5 Grendel or even a 6mmx45 with 95 grainers. Otherwise should i just get a 8 twist .223 barrel and shoot 77/80 grain match kings then i dont have the added cost of gearing up to load another round.

Thanks in advance for any help