A few days ago I posted a question about the 264 Mag which touched off quite a few responses. Hope this post gets some advice.

I wanted to build a rifle for long range shooting deer up to 500 yards in certain areas of South and West Texas. This is what triggered my interest in the 264 MAG. In the last couple of days, I have the lead on a good 270 Winchester with 24in barrel at a very reasonalbe price.

Money being somehwhat tight(like the rest of the country), I thought about this rifle and round as a long range 500 yard gun. By going this route, I could afford to a much better scope which a key componet of a long range rifle. I have seen a few stout load pushing the 150 gr at 3000 ft/sec. Also I have looked at the Berger VLD bullets and see they make several VLD hunting bullets in .277. The 130gr BC of .452 and the 140gr with a BC of .487 and a 150 gr at BC of .531.

Here is the question:

While this round may not be as flat as the 264 MAG, Could I push the Berger VLDs hard enought to make this rifle a junior 264 MAG. The 270 is a tried and true round but is up to the task of a 450-500 yard deer rifle?

What do you handloading guru's think? I appreciate your help.

Centex Bill