Thread: Reloading hall of shame

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm new to reloading, and new to Savage Shooters forum. But I'll fess up, and tell my "never do this'rr". It's not really a reloading blunder, but this is the right place for it. I was setting up a corner dedicated reloading area "which I had already been using" and was adding hooks and pegs to hang stuff on. Well I had hung up my RCBS hand prime, which I forgot that I left 25 CCI 200 primers in. And noticed I need to grind a little VB more on one of the hooks about thirty inches away from it.

One spark and all 25 primers went off.

Ears ringing---wondering what the bleep just happened ???
    Word to the wise. Highly Explosive! Really does mean HIGHLY Explosive.

Basic Member
    One of my blunders was when reloading 7mm-08 for a new rifle. Went to range and was shooting over chronograph. Noticed the velocity was 150 fps or more faster than what it should be. Had me scratching my head. I stopped after a couple of rounds. Got home and figured out what happened. Powder, bullet weight was all in order. My OAL was too long and the bullet was jamming in the lands. By starting in the lands, the bullet was building higher pressure which gave more velocity. I had loaded different bullets and neglected to adjust my seating die. Fortunately it didn't hurt anything, but taught me the dangers of seating too long.

Rosewood

Basic Member
    Probably my most risky scenario was I had a 7mm TCU loaded and it would not chamber so I decided to run it in my Redding body die (looking back, I should have pulled it). I failed to lube it enough and it got stuck. Imagine that, a loaded round stuck in a die. Not good. I can't remember all of the details but I think I oiled up the case and then carefully cut it open to get the powder out, was able to get it out safely, but there was a lot of butt clenching during the process.

Rosewood