Just got done reading a loooooong thread on zeroing a Vortex here on the optics board, and am now so confused that I'm afraid I may have brained my damage.

So maybe a quick question or two for you "sharp" shooters (see what I did there…?) will help me get the concept of MOA bases.

When I purchased my model 12 BVSS in 223 new, the shop owner installed a set of leupold bases and the scope I'd purchased separately.

Every scope (6 now) I've put in those rings and bases has been very near bottomed out on the elevation turret when zero'd at 100 yds.

Not so with my new 12FV. I installed new rings and bases for that rifle and it's near middle of the MOA capacity at 100 yd zero. Same with my shooting buddy who purchased the same Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50. Went to the 1000 yd range this week and he didn't have enough MOA to hit 500 yds where as I was only in the middle of my turrets capacity at 750. (He's shooting a 308)

As I'm typing this, it seems pretty clear that I do have a 20 moa base. If so, how would I tell?