Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
dude it is quite simple. If you have considerably more up elevation adjustment then you do down adjustment from your 100 yrd zero you have canted scope bases.
It's not quite that simple. In a perfect world it would be. If they are two piece bases I'm pretty certain they are not meant to be 20 MOA bases. I've never seen such a thing. It would be possible but I don't know that anyone offers them. The bases would definitely long action/short action specific and the front and back bases would have to be oriented properly.

I doubt that is the case here. I see three possibilities. One is the action is quite far out of spec. Two is the bases are out of spec or are not the correct bases. Three is the rings are out of spec. As things are described I would lean towards the bases being incorrect. Something is misaligned pretty badly if the scope lifts off the front ring when placed squarely in the rear. Take the rings off and put a straight edge on the rear base. If it floats over the front it is not the rings. Take the bases off and put the straight edge on the action. If, when held tight to the rear screw tappings, it floats at the front screw tappings it is an action problem. If the action is straight it is a base problem.

The action test assumes a round receiver. If this is a rear flat receiver I almost bet that the bases were not matched properly for the application. If you want to keep the 20 MOA two piece system that you have stumbled on to I would suggest Burris Signature rings. They should allow the scope to be secured without applying unwanted torque to the tube. You may be able to lap the rings to accomplish the same but it sounds like a lot.

Best solution: get a real 20 MOA one piece base. (If the action is ok)